From: Star on
I know DELL doesn't like the term *netbook* but wonder if anyone has
heard about their plans for their MINI computers.
There are a couple of companies that have announced they will be
building new box's with the Atom N330 dual core processor and the ION
video chip.
I have a ASUS 9" netbook but find the screen resolution too low to be
really usefully and the keyboard too small..
What I would like is Atom N330, 12" screen at 1280X800 or max
1366X768, 250/320 HDD, 2G ram, 8 cell battery and ION video.

Art
From: Ben Myers on
Star@*.* wrote:
> I know DELL doesn't like the term *netbook* but wonder if anyone has
> heard about their plans for their MINI computers.
> There are a couple of companies that have announced they will be
> building new box's with the Atom N330 dual core processor and the ION
> video chip.
> I have a ASUS 9" netbook but find the screen resolution too low to be
> really usefully and the keyboard too small..
> What I would like is Atom N330, 12" screen at 1280X800 or max
> 1366X768, 250/320 HDD, 2G ram, 8 cell battery and ION video.
>
> Art

Art,

I'm with you. I have been yammering to anyone in the industry who will
listen that there should be a 12" notebook computer with a respectably
sized keyboard and the Atom N330. I have been using IBM/Lenovo 12"
X-series laptops and they offer an excellent compromise on size, weight
and portability, with a solid keyboard and 1024x768 resolution. "All"
one would need to do would be to design an Atom motherboard to fit in
the same series of chassis. So far, nobody is listening, so almost all
the netbooks have cramped keyboards and inadequate resolution... Ben Myers
From: Christopher Muto on
Star@*.* wrote:
> I know DELL doesn't like the term *netbook* but wonder if anyone has
> heard about their plans for their MINI computers.
> There are a couple of companies that have announced they will be
> building new box's with the Atom N330 dual core processor and the ION
> video chip.
> I have a ASUS 9" netbook but find the screen resolution too low to be
> really usefully and the keyboard too small..
> What I would like is Atom N330, 12" screen at 1280X800 or max
> 1366X768, 250/320 HDD, 2G ram, 8 cell battery and ION video.
>
> Art

i agree that the 9" net books are pretty hard to use but the 10" are
very good. that additional inch really makes a big difference and the
keyboard is nearly full sized. if they get much bigger than that they
loose their compact size, super light weight, and would have shorter
battery life due to the need to light a big screen. the dells already
have lousy battery life. whatever dell does next they have got to do
something about battery life. i don't know why anyone at all buys a
dell mini given their lousy battery life. says something about brand
recognition, marketing, and impulse (uneducated) buying decision making.
From: Christopher Muto on
Ben Myers wrote:
> Star@*.* wrote:
>> I know DELL doesn't like the term *netbook* but wonder if anyone has
>> heard about their plans for their MINI computers.
>> There are a couple of companies that have announced they will be
>> building new box's with the Atom N330 dual core processor and the ION
>> video chip.
>> I have a ASUS 9" netbook but find the screen resolution too low to be
>> really usefully and the keyboard too small..
>> What I would like is Atom N330, 12" screen at 1280X800 or max
>> 1366X768, 250/320 HDD, 2G ram, 8 cell battery and ION video.
>>
>> Art
>
> Art,
>
> I'm with you. I have been yammering to anyone in the industry who will
> listen that there should be a 12" notebook computer with a respectably
> sized keyboard and the Atom N330. I have been using IBM/Lenovo 12"
> X-series laptops and they offer an excellent compromise on size, weight
> and portability, with a solid keyboard and 1024x768 resolution. "All"
> one would need to do would be to design an Atom motherboard to fit in
> the same series of chassis. So far, nobody is listening, so almost all
> the netbooks have cramped keyboards and inadequate resolution... Ben Myers

lenovo has a 12" netbook...
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/notebooks/ideapad/s-series
From: Ben Myers on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> Ben Myers wrote:
>> Star@*.* wrote:
>>> I know DELL doesn't like the term *netbook* but wonder if anyone has
>>> heard about their plans for their MINI computers.
>>> There are a couple of companies that have announced they will be
>>> building new box's with the Atom N330 dual core processor and the ION
>>> video chip.
>>> I have a ASUS 9" netbook but find the screen resolution too low to be
>>> really usefully and the keyboard too small..
>>> What I would like is Atom N330, 12" screen at 1280X800 or max
>>> 1366X768, 250/320 HDD, 2G ram, 8 cell battery and ION video.
>>>
>>> Art
>>
>> Art,
>>
>> I'm with you. I have been yammering to anyone in the industry who
>> will listen that there should be a 12" notebook computer with a
>> respectably sized keyboard and the Atom N330. I have been using
>> IBM/Lenovo 12" X-series laptops and they offer an excellent compromise
>> on size, weight and portability, with a solid keyboard and 1024x768
>> resolution. "All" one would need to do would be to design an Atom
>> motherboard to fit in the same series of chassis. So far, nobody is
>> listening, so almost all the netbooks have cramped keyboards and
>> inadequate resolution... Ben Myers
>
> lenovo has a 12" netbook...
> http://shop.lenovo.com/us/notebooks/ideapad/s-series

Why so they do. Now I have to wonder how well the nVidia chips will
hold up, given the ongoing debacle with failing hot nVidia chips... Ben