From: Bill S. on
I've been using the trial version of AVG Professional Antivirus (by Grisoft)
for a week and I been tinkering around with it. I like the look and feel of
it better than Norton which I used for years. But how good does it work? I
need antivirus software for several computers, so I am thinking of buying a
5-pack of AVG licences.

Also I would like to find a user forum for the AVG Professional version but
I can only find a forum for the AVG Free version - and I don't have a
password for that. Does anybody know a user forum for AVG besides the free
edition?

I am interested in your comments and opinions about AVG (Grisoft) antivirus
software.

TIA Bill S.

From: Ron Lopshire on
Bill S. wrote:

> I've been using the trial version of AVG Professional Antivirus (by Grisoft)
> for a week and I been tinkering around with it. I like the look and feel of
> it better than Norton which I used for years. But how good does it work? I
> need antivirus software for several computers, so I am thinking of buying a
> 5-pack of AVG licences.
>
> Also I would like to find a user forum for the AVG Professional version but
> I can only find a forum for the AVG Free version - and I don't have a
> password for that. Does anybody know a user forum for AVG besides the free
> edition?
>
> I am interested in your comments and opinions about AVG (Grisoft) antivirus
> software.

Bill,

Here is my 0.02 on the AV subject. As I have mentioned before, don't
by a Vespa and then find out that you could have had a Mercedes for
the same price. I have not seen anything that indicates that AVG
Professional is any better than AVG Free, and AVG does not stack up
very well in terms of detection rates against other AV apps.

AFAIAC, opinions, polls and the reviews of sites that accept
advertising from AV vendors are pretty much worthless. Stick to tests
and comparatives. Some AV info for your perusal:

AV-Test (Andreas Marx - Germany)
(http://www.av-test.org/)
AV-Comparatives (Andreas Clementi - Austria)
(http://www.av-comparatives.org/)
Virus.gr (VirusP - Greece)
(http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp)
Food for thought (Eugene Kaspersky)
(http://www.viruslist.com/en/analysis?pubid=174405517)

Here are the preferences that I have gleaned from the various
security/paranoia NGs in which I hang out:

Free: AVG, Avast!, AntiVir
Paid: KAV, NOD32
Bottom of the List: Norton, McAfee

The knock against NAV and McAfee is due to bias (they're the big guys)
and issues not related to detection rates.

KAV - Kaspersky Labs:
(http://www.kaspersky.com/us/products)
NOD32 - Eset:
(http://www.nod32-av.com/products/products.htm)

Make sure you get what you pay for.

Ron :)
From: Tony Tynan on
Have just installed the Free Edtion which found 70 instances of
Win32/MagistrB but reported 'not healed' Not able to remove Magistr?
I moved all the affected files to AVG's Vault where I hope to work on them
with some other one-shot cleaner specific to Magistr. Is there such a
tool? I'm running W95 and the cleaners I've found so far Googling don't go
back that far/old
And what is WORSE.EXE? Very little on it in Google or Alta Vista
Any pointers appreciated
Thanks
TT