From: Porte Rouge on
I would like to ask XP users a question about Windows 7.I am looking
at a Dell Vostro 3400 laptop w/ Windows 7 pro 32 bit and XP mode so I
can use my XP software a little longer. I am assuming Win 7 won't run
XP ware since they offer an XP mode. Is XP mode slow? Does it even
work?

Thanks

Porte

From: DL on
It doesn't necessarily follow that programs designed for WinXp will not run
when installed on Win7. I have a number that run fine.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Wed, 19 May 2010 09:55:19 -0700 (PDT), Porte Rouge
<porterougeman(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to ask XP users a question about Windows 7.I am looking
> at a Dell Vostro 3400 laptop w/ Windows 7 pro 32 bit and XP mode so I
> can use my XP software a little longer. I am assuming Win 7 won't run
> XP ware since they offer an XP mode. Is XP mode slow? Does it even
> work?

Sorry, your assumption is not correct. *Most* programs written in the
days of XP will run under Windows 7, and will run well. Only an
occasional one won't run at all or will run with some problems.

The reason XP mode exists is to take of those few programs for which
Windows 7 is a problem. Yes, it works.

To find out which of your XP programs will run and which won't,
download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor at
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Porte Rouge on
On May 19, 2:18 pm, "DL" <inva...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> It doesn't necessarily follow that programs designed for WinXp will not run
> when installed on Win7. I have a number that run fine.
>
> "Porte Rouge" <porterouge...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I would like to ask XP users a question about Windows 7.I am looking
> > at a Dell Vostro 3400 laptop w/ Windows 7 pro 32 bit and XP mode so I
> > can use my XP software a little longer. I am assuming Win 7 won't run
> > XP ware since they offer an XP mode. Is XP mode slow? Does it even
> > work?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Porte

The most important programs are Photoshop, Lightroom, Quickbooks Pro.
Do you think they would run in windows 7?
From: Porte Rouge on
On May 19, 3:02 pm, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kbl...(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 2010 09:55:19 -0700 (PDT), Porte Rouge
>
> <porterouge...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to ask XP users a question about Windows 7.I am looking
> > at a Dell Vostro 3400 laptop w/ Windows 7 pro 32 bit and XP mode so I
> > can use my XP software a little longer. I am assuming Win 7 won't run
> > XP ware since they offer an XP mode. Is XP mode slow? Does it even
> > work?
>
> Sorry, your assumption is not correct. *Most* programs written in the
> days of XP will run under Windows 7, and will run well. Only an
> occasional one won't run at all or will run with some problems.
>
> The reason XP mode exists is to take of those few programs for which
> Windows 7 is a problem. Yes, it works.
>
> To find out which of your XP programs will run and which won't,
> download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor athttp://windows.microsoft..com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Great, thanks Ken.