From: Antoine Pitrou on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:03:24 +0200
"Martin v. Loewis" <martin(a)v.loewis.de> wrote:

> That is a common myth. If your computer doesn't have any IPv6
> connectivity, all is fine. The web browser will fallback to IPv4
> immediately (*), without sending out any IPv6 datagrams first.

Ok, I suppose the explanation wasn't factually exact.

> If your computer does have IPv6 connectivity, but it's broken
> (i.e. you have a gateway, but eventually packets are discarded),
> you see the IPv4 fallback after the IPv6 timeout. The IPv4 connection in
> itself then would be fast.

I think it's what most users experience when they are talking about
this problem. It manifests itself on many Linux setups.

Regards

Antoine.

From: Martin v. Loewis on
>> If your computer does have IPv6 connectivity, but it's broken
>> (i.e. you have a gateway, but eventually packets are discarded),
>> you see the IPv4 fallback after the IPv6 timeout. The IPv4 connection in
>> itself then would be fast.
>
> I think it's what most users experience when they are talking about
> this problem. It manifests itself on many Linux setups.

This (*) is something I really cannot believe. What specifically
happened on these Linux setups? What specific network use these people,
and why do they get bad IPv6 connectivity?

Regards,
Martin

(*) that there are many
From: Antoine Pitrou on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:28:19 +0200
"Martin v. Loewis" <martin(a)v.loewis.de> wrote:
> >> If your computer does have IPv6 connectivity, but it's broken
> >> (i.e. you have a gateway, but eventually packets are discarded),
> >> you see the IPv4 fallback after the IPv6 timeout. The IPv4 connection in
> >> itself then would be fast.
> >
> > I think it's what most users experience when they are talking about
> > this problem. It manifests itself on many Linux setups.
>
> This (*) is something I really cannot believe.
> (*) that there are many

Well, just take a look at the number of recipes for disabling IPv6
specifically in order to solve slowdown problems:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=fr&safe=off&q=linux+ipv6+disable+slowdowns&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

It is at least the third time that someone asks why python.org is
"slow", and that their problem is "solved" by disabling IPv6.

I disabled IPv6 myself, which solved similar slowdown issues.
The issues happened on *.python.org, *.google.com and a couple of other
domains; hence they weren't python.org-specific.
The issues happened with a Web browser but also with ssh; hence they
were neither application- nor protocol-specific.
The issues happened on two different machines, one hooked to a DSL
router, another with wireless connection to various outside networks.
Hence the issue is probably not tied to a particular hardware gateway.

I was quite surprised myself when I discovered that "solution". But it
really suppressed the frequent lag I had in some connection attempts
(including ssh connection to a rather close, mostly idle box).

It is possible that the way Linux (or some Linux setups: many of the
recipes above are for Ubuntu, I use Mandriva myself) handles IPv6
"connectivity" is suboptimal in some cases, and that connection
attempts don't fail immediately when they should. I don't have enough
knowledge to diagnose further.

Regards

Antoine.

From: Pierre Rouleau on

> It is possible that the way Linux (or some Linux setups: many of the
> recipes above are for Ubuntu, I use Mandriva myself) handles IPv6
> "connectivity" is suboptimal in some cases, and that connection
> attempts don't fail immediately when they should. I don't have enough
> knowledge to diagnose further.

Note that I am not using Linux. I had the problem on OS/X 10.4.

I did another experiment. I have VMWare Fusion on that computer and
have Linux Ubuntu 9.04 in one VMWare appliance.

I activated IPv6 on the OS/X Preference for the interface I am using.
Access to www.python.org went slow for Firefox and Safari running
directly under OS/X. However, access for Firefox running inside
VMWare-based Linux Ubuntu 9.04 was fine! I tried pages from Ubuntu
first, got them right away, then tried the same page under OS/X and
was waiting for over 10 seconds.

Regards

- Pierre