From: Pierre Rouleau on
All,

I have been finding python.org site very slow for the last year and
probably before. Is there any known reason why the site is slow? I
tried accessing it from several locations and I always get to wait
several seconds for a page to load (in any browser/OS).

Thanks

-- Pierre
From: Antoine Pitrou on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 06:30:11 -0700 (PDT)
Pierre Rouleau <prouleau001(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I have been finding python.org site very slow for the last year and
> probably before. Is there any known reason why the site is slow?

For the last year??
It's been mostly zippy here.
Is IPv6 enabled on your computer? If so, I'd try to disable it.
python.org domains resolve to both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and, if your
computer has IPv6 enabled but you don't have any IPv6 connectivity,
this can result in slowdowns.

Regards

Antoine.

From: Pierre Rouleau on
On Jul 10, 9:48 am, Antoine Pitrou <solip...(a)pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 06:30:11 -0700 (PDT)
>

> > I have been finding python.org site very slow for the last year and
> > probably before. Is there any known reason why the site is slow?
>
> For the last year??
> It's been mostly zippy here.
> Is IPv6 enabled on your computer? If so, I'd try to disable it.
> python.org domains resolve to both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and, if your
> computer has IPv6 enabled but you don't have any IPv6 connectivity,
> this can result in slowdowns.
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

Merci Antoine!

I did disable IPv6 on my computer at home and it did speed it up. I'll
check the other computers where I experienced the same slowness.

Thanks again!

-- Pierre
From: Martin v. Loewis on
> For the last year??
> It's been mostly zippy here.
> Is IPv6 enabled on your computer? If so, I'd try to disable it.
> python.org domains resolve to both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and, if your
> computer has IPv6 enabled but you don't have any IPv6 connectivity,
> this can result in slowdowns.

That is a common myth. If your computer doesn't have any IPv6
connectivity, all is fine. The web browser will fallback to IPv4
immediately (*), without sending out any IPv6 datagrams first.

If your computer does have IPv6 connectivity, but it's broken
(i.e. you have a gateway, but eventually packets are discarded),
you see the IPv4 fallback after the IPv6 timeout. The IPv4 connection in
itself then would be fast.

If your computer has IPv6 connectivity, but through low-bandwidth
tunnels (which may happen with 6to4 tunnels, for example), then you'll
get slow responses all the time.

Regards,
Martin

(*) unless it's some older Opera version, in which case you would
get no connection to python.org at all.
From: Martin v. Loewis on
> I did disable IPv6 on my computer at home and it did speed it up. I'll
> check the other computers where I experienced the same slowness.

Of course, it would be interesting to find out what precisely went
wrong. If you are curious to find out, let me know, and I'll help
investigating.

Regards,
Martin