From: Dave -Turner on
Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for Windows-based
frequency analysis software for breaking trivial ciphers?
Thanks

From: amzoti on
On Mar 10, 2:48 pm, "Dave -Turner" <ad...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for Windows-based
> frequency analysis software for breaking trivial ciphers?
> Thanks

I have not used any of these, but there seem to be quite a few.

See: http://cryptography.software.informer.com/download-cryptography-frequency-analysis-tools/

See: http://www.downloadatoz.com/toplight/cipher%20text%20analysis.html

See: http://wareseeker.com/free-frequency-analysis-tools/

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_analysis

See: http://www.richkni.co.uk/php/crypta/freq.php

~A
From: J.D. on
On Mar 10, 5:48 pm, "Dave -Turner" <ad...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for Windows-based
> frequency analysis software for breaking trivial ciphers?
> Thanks

Excel's pivot table will work for most basic types of frequency
analysis. Just paste the text to be analyzed into a cell, use the
LEFT and RIGHT (in conjunction with LEN) functions to split each
character into a separate cell, and then run a pivot table report on
the cells (arrange them in a single column to make this easier). In
the 'layout' phase, make the column of cells both the ROW and the DATA
-- this will give you a 'Count' (i.e. frequency of the various
characters). By fiddling with the LEFT and RIGHT functions you can
even count digraphs and trigraphs.