From: "Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette" on
Rick Paul wrote:
> [...]
> Symphonic Choirs. In each case, the plug-in gets wrapped as a VSTi, and can
> be inserted in the Synth Rack or an audio bin. I can enable the MIDI output
> in the Synth Rack in either case, and it then shows up as a MIDI input in
> MIDI tracks. It also shows up as a MIDI output in MIDI tracks. The plug-in
> interfaces seem to work as I'd expect. So far so good, or so it would seem.
> When it gets down to brass tacks, though, they don't seem to do anything.
>
> WordBuilder, and it's relationship to the EWQL Symphonic Choirs plug-in, is
> probably a bit complex, in that it is lending the diction to what would
> otherwise be oohs and ahs. It would normally take MIDI input from a
> keyboard or MIDI track, add some control information, and spit out an
> enhanced MIDI track that then feeds the instrument. Or at least that's my
> recollection from the one time I experimented with it. (The only time I
> ever used EWQL-SC on an actual project, I just needed oohs or ahs.) I tried
> a variety of ways of hooking it up, but the way I think should have been
> correct was to have the keyboard MIDI track output to the wrapped
> WordBuilder VSTi, then have the MIDI track that actually drives the EWQL-SC
> plug-in take its input from the WordBuilder's MIDI output. I got different
> results from when the keyboard track drove the EWQL-SC plug-in directly, and
> it wasn't just silence, but it wasn't anything even remotely close to what
> I'd have expected, either -- more like a few random notes.
>
> JMT Orchestrator would seem to be a much less complicated plug-in. It's a
> Band-in-a-Box-style accompaniment generator, where you give it chord changes
> and styles and information on variations, then it generates multi-part
> accompaniment, which you then sent to a multi-timbral sound module, such as
> TTS-1 (which is actually perfect for that as the default sounds mapping is
> General MIDI). Thus, I sent the MIDI output of the wrapped JMT Orchestrator
> VSTi to a MIDI track whose output went to the TTS-1 plug-in. You'd think
> that would be simple enough, but there was no sound at all, nor any signs of
> MIDI data on the MIDI track.
>
> Unfortunately, it's been a long time since I've even tried using either
> plug-in, so it is conceivable I'm doing something wrong in the plug-ins
> themselves, though I think that is fairly unlikely in the JMT case. I
> haven't tried MFX Shell with any other MFX plug-ins yet to see if something
> that is a simple filter may work, but I think most of the MFX plug-ins I'd
> had that fit that description came with SONAR and were just bundled in as
> 64-bit plug-ins in the x64 edition. These two were the only remaining ones
> that I felt I actually might want to use (especially the EWQL one.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone else has tried MFX Shell, and, if so, what kind of
> results you've gotten, and, if it actually did work for your particular
> plug-in, if there were any tricks needed on the configuration and routing?

I never could get it to work so I gave up. If I want to use my
Timeworks plugs I just run the 32 bit version of SONAR. I'm a little
reluctant to run that adapter anyhow for fear that it will cause problems.

--
Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette

http://www.gatortraks.com/forum
http://www.gatortraks.com
From: John Braner on

> FWIW, the plug-ins I am currently running under DX Shell are:
>
> Cakewalk FX3 Soundstage
> dB-Audioware dynamics processor suite (I.e. dB-D, etc.)

Rick - I set up the old db multiband limiter. It works fine, but there is no way to save presets.
Can you save a preset with the wrapped db plugs?

--
===========
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
From: John Braner on
On 22/01/2010 19:34, Rick Paul wrote:
> "John Braner"<me(a)myhouse.com> wrote in message
>>> FWIW, the plug-ins I am currently running under DX Shell are:
>>>
>>> Cakewalk FX3 Soundstage
>>> dB-Audioware dynamics processor suite (I.e. dB-D, etc.)
>>
>> Rick - I set up the old db multiband limiter. It works fine, but there is
>> no way to save presets. Can you save a preset with the wrapped db plugs?
>
> You can't save them within the plug-in's preset menu, but you can use the
> Save/Load Bank facility in the file menu to save them on hard disk as .FXB
> files, which I believe are generic VST plug-in preset banks. I just tried
> that with dB-M and dB-L, and it worked in both cases.
>
> That's obviously not ideal, but perhaps better than nothing.

I thought I tried that - but when I loaded the fxp file - it didn't change anything. I'll try again.

> One other approach that might be helpful in certain cases would be using
> Track Templates, if, for example, the preset you want is always used in

That's a good idea! I just like to set each band at 0db gain, and limit at say, -.5db. It's a lot of
clicks, but not impossible.

--
===========

From: "Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette" on
Rick Paul wrote:
> [...]
>> plugs I just run the 32 bit version of SONAR. I'm a little reluctant to
>> run that adapter anyhow for fear that it will cause problems.
>
> Dave, I had no problem with DX Shell and DXi Shell for Direct X and DXi
> plug-ins, respectively. The Timeworks plug-ins from SONAR 2.2 XL were among
> those that are working fine with DX Shell. Tassman 3 DX and DreamStation
> are both working with DXi Shell.
>
> There are a few ways to use these, but the easy way for me was to create a
> separate directory, not in the VST path, where you keep the DX/DXi/MFX Shell
> stuff, including the SHELL2VST.EXE program. Then, if you want to convert
> your DirectX plugins, just drag dxshell.dll on top of shell2vst.exe, and it
> will create a subdirectory called DX with wrapped DLLs. Then you just copy
> or move the wrapped DLLs into a directory (or different directories, if you
> prefer for organization purposes) under your VST path. Start SONAR x64
> again to let it scan, and, with luck, you are in business.
>
> I say, "with luck," because some plug-ins ended up being hopeless, mostly
> ones from Antares with PACE InterLok protection. I also had some challenges
> scanning Waves plug-ins (RennMaxx with iLok protection), but that was a case
> of where it seemed it could only scan a few at a time, so I had to move just
> a few in the VST path, let SONAR scan, move a few more in, let SONAR scan
> again, and so on until all the Waves plug-ins were scanned. After that,
> they worked just fine. In fact, with the Waves plug-ins, I could not get
> those working under VST with BitBridge for whatever reason, so the Direct X
> ones actually ended up working better, with a wrapper than the VST versions.
>
> I have not even installed the 32-bit version of SONAR on my system. There
> are a few plug-ins I ultimately could not get running properly with
> BitBridge and SONAR x64, but other than ones that I also couldn't get
> working properly in general (e.g. under 32-bit Ableton Live on the same
> system), those ended up being plug-ins I could easily live without.
>
> FWIW, the plug-ins I am currently running under DX Shell are:
>
> Cakewalk FX3 Soundstage
> dB-Audioware dynamics processor suite (I.e. dB-D, etc.)
> DSP FX suite (not the Cakewalk versions of the same plug-ins, such as
> FxReverb, which I did not bother trying, but noted someone else had gotten
> working through DX Shell)
> iZotope Ozone 3 (but with some issues in control values)
> iZotope Trash
> TimeWorks CompressorX and Equalizer
> Waves RennMaxx suite
>
> I also converted the Sony Sound Forge effects, but some of those had issues
> similar to the one Ozone was having, and I ultimately decided I wouldn't be
> likely to use those anyway, so why clutter up my menu. The Sonalksis
> plug-ins also converted okay, but I am running the VST versions of those
> under BitBridge, so there is no need for the DX versions.

Maybe, I'll give it another try this morning.

From: "Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette" on
Rick Paul wrote:
> "Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>> The killer robot "Dave \"Mod Bod\" Modisette" <dmodisette(a)gatortraks.com>
>> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these
>> buttons...
>>
>>> If I want to use my Timeworks plugs I just run the 32 bit version of
>>> SONAR.
>> That would drive me totally nuts. I use at least ten instances of the
>> Timeworks CompressorX and EQ in every song I do. My drums are pre-mixed
>> in
>> my default templates in both Sonar and Reaper with about five of each.
>> CompressorX is my absolute favorite brickwall limiter, and I sure wouldn't
>> even think about losing it to more bits.
>
> Not that you're actually considering upgrading to SONAR x64 anyway, but, as
> I said in my response to Dave, the CompressorX plug-in works just fine in
> SONAR 8.5.2 x64 via the DX Shell wrapper, which turns it into a VST plug-in.
>
> Rick
Well Rick, you finally got me to understand how to run that little
application. It's been three months since my original try and I recall
that I was trying to make it a much more complicated process.

I ran it using your simplified instructions and it converted all of my
DX audio plugins. I can't think of any soft synths that I want to use
so I'll probably not convert them.

I got a lot of plugins converted (SONY) that I'll probably delete to
keep the list of converted plugs short.

Thanks again, for the nudge in the right direction.

--
Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette

http://www.gatortraks.com/forum
http://www.gatortraks.com