From: Mark Carter on
I'm not really a Lisp programmer, but I saw an ad for Bee Lisp. Anyone
heard of it? Is it any good?
From: Giovanni Gigante on
Mark Carter wrote:
> I'm not really a Lisp programmer, but I saw an ad for Bee Lisp. Anyone
> heard of it? Is it any good?

From the home page:
"BEE Lisp is a superficial compiler"

After decades of dreaming of the fabled "smart enough compiler", we are
left in a world of superficial ones.

And not even a flying car in sight.
From: Futu Ranon on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 08:11:45 -0400, Mark Carter
<alt.mcarter(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm not really a Lisp programmer, but I saw an ad for Bee Lisp. Anyone
> heard of it? Is it any good?

I saw it on gmail and thought of posing this same question to c.l.l.

I looked into it a little and I could find no useful information beyond
the host site. The demo isn't very crippled so you could just just
evaluate it for your needs.

I did enjoy this claim from the website:

From: fortunatus on
I think products like this are usually one of the GPL Lisps wrapped up
for sale (as indeed that is one of the officially approved ways to
make money using the GPL). Or else, bearing in mind the "superficial
compiler" remark, it might be a stripped-down Lisp, or else it is some
project someone spent years building up and is trying to get some
benefit from.

I wonder if they get any customers? I doubt they provide support,
etc, beyond install instructions, from looking at the site. So what
would the value be? Do they simply count on folks finding their ad
before finding the world of (free, free) Lisps? What programmer who's
interested in Lisp wouldn't Google?

Or perhaps this is someone who is a consultant, and will use Lisp
anyway, and wants to charge their client for Lisp (which is OK by me
so long as the client understands), and so this is the storefront for
allowing client's purchasing dept to make the purchase?

In any case, clearly this is not a real business effort in itself, or
else more offered value would be apparent.

PS - I've often suspected with products that look like a repackage of
GPL code, there might be a trojan.
From: Tamas K Papp on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:05:57 -0400, Futu Ranon wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 08:11:45 -0400, Mark Carter
> <alt.mcarter(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not really a Lisp programmer, but I saw an ad for Bee Lisp. Anyone
>> heard of it? Is it any good?
>
> I saw it on gmail and thought of posing this same question to c.l.l.
>
> I looked into it a little and I could find no useful information beyond
> the host site. The demo isn't very crippled so you could just just
> evaluate it for your needs.
>
> I did enjoy this claim from the website:
>
>> BEE Lisp Compiler and the Lisp language itself makes compiled programs
>> very difficult to crack or to reverse engineer.

Other amazing quotes from the website:

"BEE Lisp is a superficial expandable compiler for The Lisp language"

Wow, "The Lisp language". The one and only.

"Extensibility of the compiler through open COM interfaces"

Thanks, but I am fine extending my compiler with macros, and occasionally
compiler macros. Given the choice, I would rather go skinny dipping in a
piranha tank than use COM.

Also, docs & language specs are conspicuously missing. It seems to be
a one-person effort, and the nicest part is that it costs EUR 29.75.

With standardized, mature dialects of Lisp floating around, each with
at least one free compiler and development environment, I am sure that
people who are willing to buy this product will get exactly what they
deserve.

Tamas
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9