From: Tamas K Papp on
Hi,

I need to use a simple database from CL. The database consists of
timestamp/count pairs, a timestamp is a date&time, while the count is a
single integer. The idea is that a server which runs the database
collects the data continuously (not necessarily using CL, but that can be
achieved), and I want to be able to do simple queries using CL (eg get
all the records between two timestamps). I am looking for something
that is

1. robust,
2. simple to setup (would prefer to avoid SQL)
3. has reasonably mature CL bindings, or makes it easy to implement them.

I have no experience with these things, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tamas
From: Zach Beane on
Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I need to use a simple database from CL. The database consists of
> timestamp/count pairs, a timestamp is a date&time, while the count is a
> single integer. The idea is that a server which runs the database
> collects the data continuously (not necessarily using CL, but that can be
> achieved), and I want to be able to do simple queries using CL (eg get
> all the records between two timestamps). I am looking for something
> that is
>
> 1. robust,
> 2. simple to setup (would prefer to avoid SQL)
> 3. has reasonably mature CL bindings, or makes it easy to implement them.
>
> I have no experience with these things, so any help would be appreciated.

Is the data created like a log file, with increasing dates and no
modifications to older data? If so, you could make the records
fixed-length and use bisection to find records in the file.

Zach
From: Mariano Montone on
Berkeley DB might be an option.

http://www.cl-user.net/asp/libs/bdb
http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-berkeley-db/

I have not tried the bindings, though.

Mariano

From: Andrew Poelstra on
On 2010-03-16, Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to use a simple database from CL. The database consists of
> timestamp/count pairs, a timestamp is a date&time, while the count is a
> single integer. The idea is that a server which runs the database
> collects the data continuously (not necessarily using CL, but that can be
> achieved), and I want to be able to do simple queries using CL (eg get
> all the records between two timestamps). I am looking for something
> that is
>
> 1. robust,
> 2. simple to setup (would prefer to avoid SQL)
> 3. has reasonably mature CL bindings, or makes it easy to implement them.
>
> I have no experience with these things, so any help would be appreciated.

You might want to look into sqlite. I haven't tried their CL
binding, but the database itself is simple, easy to setup and
robust. (And fast, too.)

--
Andrew Poelstra
http://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew
From: Alex Mizrahi on
AP> You might want to look into sqlite. I haven't tried their CL
AP> binding,

One can use SQLite via CLSQL, I've tried it, it works.

AP> but the database itself is simple, easy to setup and robust. (And
AP> fast, too.)

I agree.