From: marcoecc on
On Jan 16, 5:25 pm, D Herring <dherr...(a)at.tentpost.dot.com> wrote:
> At the time, I used the following to convert the book to a size
> suitable for binding.
>
> All one line:
> gs -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=try.pdf
> -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 -dMaxSubsetPct=100
> -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -c '[/CropBox [85 60 515 710]
> /PAGES pdfmark' -f onlisp.ps
>
> Downloaded a photo of the front cover, pieced together a spine, and
> uploaded them to a popular print-on-demand publisher for a personal
> copy.  ISTR it being around $12.

Hello,

Where I live there's a print-on-demand service in a book store who
can print and bind out-of-print or original books, from PDF files
for the cover and back page and the book. They look just perfect.

I've already used the above command (thanks!) to reformat the original
PDF file with margins suitable for printing and binding, and have also
downloaded the front cover large gif from PG's site and then converted
it via gif2tiff and tiff2pdf to a PDF page.

But unfortunately, after having looked almost everywhere (amazon,
other
on line book stores, book review sites, many Lispers' sites, and even
the few auctions on ebay), I haven't been able so far to find a
scanned
image of the back cover of this book.

Would any owner of the printed book be kind enough to post somewhere a
scanned (readable!) picture of the back cover? TIFF or GIF would be
best.

Or if anyone knows where such image can be found, a link would be
appreciated!

Thanks,
Marco

From: Alain Picard on
marcoecc <marco.eccettuato(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Would any owner of the printed book be kind enough to post somewhere a
> scanned (readable!) picture of the back cover? TIFF or GIF would be
> best.

I stuck one at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3992656/on-lisp-back-cover.tiff
WARNING - it's large - 10Mb, 600dpi tiff file.

Cheers,
--ap

From: marcoecc on
On Mar 17, 3:05 am, Alain Picard <Dr.Alain.Pic...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> marcoecc <marco.eccettu...(a)gmail.com> writes:
> > Would any owner of the printed book be kind enough to post somewhere a
> > scanned (readable!) picture of the back cover? TIFF or GIF would be
> > best.
>
> I stuck one athttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/3992656/on-lisp-back-cover.tiff
> WARNING - it's large - 10Mb, 600dpi tiff file.
>
> Cheers,
>                 --ap

Alain, thank you very much!

For anyone interested, I've uploaded the full cover (made
with Gimp) to http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5417176/full-cover.tiff

The image is 655KB, resolution 904x640 at 72dpi. The image
includes: back (424px), spine (56px), and front (424px), which
should print at (15 + 1.9 + 15) * 22.5 cm, about the book size.

From: proton on
On Mar 17, 3:26 pm, marcoecc <marco.eccettu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 3:05 am, Alain Picard <Dr.Alain.Pic...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > marcoecc <marco.eccettu...(a)gmail.com> writes:
> > > Would any owner of the printed book be kind enough to post somewhere a
> > > scanned (readable!) picture of the back cover? TIFF or GIF would be
> > > best.
>
> > I stuck one athttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/3992656/on-lisp-back-cover.tiff
> > WARNING - it's large - 10Mb, 600dpi tiff file.
>
> > Cheers,
> >                 --ap
>
> Alain, thank you very much!
>
> For anyone interested, I've uploaded the full cover (made
> with Gimp) tohttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/5417176/full-cover.tiff
>
> The image is 655KB, resolution 904x640 at 72dpi. The image
> includes: back (424px), spine (56px), and front (424px), which
> should print at (15 + 1.9 + 15) * 22.5 cm, about the book size.

I tried to download the picture but it does not work. Would it be
possible to re-upload it or send it to me directly by email?

Thanks a lot.
From: Giovanni Gigante on
marcoecc wrote:

> Where I live there's a print-on-demand service in a book store who
> can print and bind out-of-print or original books, from PDF files
> for the cover and back page and the book. They look just perfect.

By the way, someone scanned the missing figures of "on lisp".
You can find them here:
http://www.zerobeat.in/wiki/doku.php?id=onlisp_missing_figures
AFAIK no one has yet integrated them (and the back cover too!) to
produce the definitive PDF editon :)

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: lightweight database