From: rdecast on
I have a laptop here that refuses to boot while in the docking station (Dell
Latitude D810). The farthest he gets is the Windows XP splash screen, then
that's about it. Machine doesn't respond on the network during this time
either.

The only way to boot up the machine is to turn it on out out the docking
station, let it get to the login screen, then dock it from there.

Running the machine from safe mode (in the docking station) freezes too. It
stops at a file called "BlackCat.sys". I know that the file that safe mode
stops on isn't always indicitive of what the problem may be, but this is the
closest thing that I've got to troubleshoot with.

Anyone heard of this file before?
From: Wesley Vogel on

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=BlackCat.sys&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CD7A8D46-01C4-479E-9E73-04F401EFC8C2(a)microsoft.com,
rdecast <rdecast(a)discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

From: rdecast on
I have tried a search under that. As you can see, it doesn't give much!

thanks

From: Bob I on
Since you can boot the laptop, I suggest you investigate what info is
available in the "blackcat.sys" file. R-click it and pick properties.

rdecast wrote:

> I have tried a search under that. As you can see, it doesn't give much!
>
> thanks
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>

>>http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=BlackCat.sys&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images
>>
>>--
>>Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>>Wes
>>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>>In news:CD7A8D46-01C4-479E-9E73-04F401EFC8C2(a)microsoft.com,
>>rdecast <rdecast(a)discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>
>>>I have a laptop here that refuses to boot while in the docking station
>>>(Dell Latitude D810). The farthest he gets is the Windows XP splash
>>>screen, then that's about it. Machine doesn't respond on the network
>>>during this time either.
>>>
>>>The only way to boot up the machine is to turn it on out out the docking
>>>station, let it get to the login screen, then dock it from there.
>>>
>>>Running the machine from safe mode (in the docking station) freezes too.
>>>It stops at a file called "BlackCat.sys". I know that the file that safe
>>>mode stops on isn't always indicitive of what the problem may be, but
>>>this is the closest thing that I've got to troubleshoot with.
>>>
>>>Anyone heard of this file before?

Pages: 1
Prev: my system slowed down.
Next: error