From: Tim Wescott on
On 06/22/2010 07:45 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2010-06-22, Tim Wescott<tim(a)seemywebsite.now> wrote:
>>
>> -- much whining and ranting snipped --
>>
>>> It won't work with TI. They are too big to care about any particular
>>> customer lost and they never claim that they do things in any way
>>> "sensible" to third-party judgement. OTOH their prices are usually too
>>> tempting to throw away their offer just because you can't fight stupid
>>> tools.
>>
>> There's a reason they named it "Code Composter". Too bad they
>> misspelled the second word.
>
> At the last MSP430 "event" I went to, the TI FAE openly discouraged
> anybody from using CC for the '430. The freebie demo kits they gave
> out contained an IAR demo toolchain. I did use CC for a TI DSP once,
> and though it basically worked, it wasn't nice.

AFAIK Code Composter is the only game in town for processors like the
'2812. The compiler is OK, the debugger is far better than nothing*,
but I've never used a captive IDE that I really liked.

* But then, any debugger is far better than nothing.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Fred on
Last time on comp.arch.embedded, Vladimir Vassilevsky
<nospam(a)nowhere.com> said:

>Hello All,
>
>I have to use a TMS470 C/C++ compiler (TMS470 == ARM).

Which one? There are several (IAR, Rowley, Keil, gcc).

>Also, in theory there is TI DSP BIOS for ARM, but
>zero documentation.

The TMS470 family doesn't have DSPs, so even if a DSP BIOS exists it
isn't likely to do you much good.

>I suspect those tools are kinda unloved by TI, and I am the only one who
> had ever tried them, and the earlier I switch to something different,
>the better.

IAR EWARM in particular is well supported by TI, much more so than the
others I have tried. IAR offers a KickStart version; it has a 32K code
limitation, but the price is right.
From: Randy Yates on
Fred <fuque(a)hotmail.com> writes:
> [...]
> IAR offers a KickStart version; it has a 32K code
> limitation, but the price is right.

I used the IAR/Kickstart for a couple of MSP430 projects and found it
to be a very good toolset/IDE.
--
Randy Yates % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
Digital Signal Labs % and kiss her interface,