From: Paul on
Metspitzer wrote:
> I sent one of these back to Amazon before finding out I should not
> have used a 6' cable. I did call tech support, and they acknowledged
> that the card does have problems with drives the get power from the
> buss.
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BZ2WA/ref=wms_ohs_product
>
> Anyone want to recommend one?

There is one comment here, about needing to use a "dual head USB cable" or
"USB Y cable", to power a hard drive with that card.

http://www.amazon.com/needs-head-cable-card-only/forum/FxOR7IYJ90WUT/Tx3NS2D878D22WW/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0000BZ2WA&store=electronics

"The same USB powered HD works fine on other USB cards, Mobo Ports,
USB hubs, etc. with the normal cable it came with. Needed a $10
dual head USB cable to use it with this card. Works fine now.
Anyone tried any other brand USB powered HD's?"

The card design has a Polyfuse per USB port. Reading the value off
the top of that component, and decoding it, would tell you whether
the designer was generous with current or not. For example, Asus uses
a 1 amp or 1.1 amp value for their fuses. They power two USB ports,
from the same fuse, which can be an advantage in being able to
start a 2.5" USB hard drive spinning when plugged in.

Don't short out the Polyfuse entirely, because in the event of an
electrical fault, something could burn. If the computer is left
running unattended, you might not be around when it burns. Bypassing
the fuse would not be very clever. Using the $10 USB Y cable for powering,
continues to use the fuses for some level of protection.

Paul
From: Man-wai Chang on
> There is one comment here, about needing to use a "dual head USB cable" or
> "USB Y cable", to power a hard drive with that card.
> http://www.amazon.com/needs-head-cable-card-only/forum/FxOR7IYJ90WUT/Tx3NS2D878D22WW/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0000BZ2WA&store=electronics
>
> "The same USB powered HD works fine on other USB cards, Mobo Ports,
> USB hubs, etc. with the normal cable it came with. Needed a $10
> dual head USB cable to use it with this card. Works fine now.
> Anyone tried any other brand USB powered HD's?"

Why not just buy a powered USB hub?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34
From: Paul on
Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> There is one comment here, about needing to use a "dual head USB
>> cable" or
>> "USB Y cable", to power a hard drive with that card.
>> http://www.amazon.com/needs-head-cable-card-only/forum/FxOR7IYJ90WUT/Tx3NS2D878D22WW/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0000BZ2WA&store=electronics
>>

>> "The same USB powered HD works fine on other USB cards, Mobo Ports,
>> USB hubs, etc. with the normal cable it came with. Needed a $10
>> dual head USB cable to use it with this card. Works fine now.
>> Anyone tried any other brand USB powered HD's?"
>
> Why not just buy a powered USB hub?

PCI Card = one fewer wall adapter :-)

Paul

From: Man-wai Chang on
>> Why not just buy a powered USB hub?
>>

> PCI Card = one fewer wall adapter :-)

A USB hub is portable, more versatile, and doesn't require you to open
your chassis! :)

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34
^ ^ 18:11:01 up 5 days 2:49 2 users load average: 0.00 0.00 0.00