From: Vahis on
On 2010-02-22, Vahis <waxborg(a)gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> As openSUSE 11.0 is approaching its EOL it makes me dream of longer life
> (of the system) once again.

I've now made attempts to set up a temporary server around SLED and
also openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 2.

I've pretty much managed everything else in both but getting
"friendly url:s" to work with mod_rewrite seems impossible.

The only difference between my attempted replacement box to the working
server is that it's 32 bit while the main machine is 64 bit.

I've tried everything that I've found about this subject.

The one closest to my problem seems to be this:
``Despite the tons of examples and docs, mod_rewrite is voodoo. Damned
cool voodoo, but still voodoo.''

My first step was to clone everything from the current server.
That went fine. As long as I don't try mod_rewrite.

Then I made a new WordPress site from scratch.
That went fine. As long as I don't try mod_rewrite.

Then I installed openSUSE 11.0 to get _everything_ just the same as the
main machine.

Then I made a new WordPress site from scratch.
That went fine. As long as I don't try mod_rewrite.

Did I mention that I had already installed openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 2,
which, of course, went fine. As long as I don't try mod_rewrite.

I can make nice url:s with "PATHINFO" in all versions.
That's quite cool. It's even quite OK.

But I hate it when I've once been able to make mod_rewrite work in my
current server and I can't do it again.

It works fine and I can't remember doing anything special then.
I must have made some tiny hack back then. Too tiny to remember.

I've combed every suggested hack that I've come up with.
None of them has been applied on my current settings.
It just works.

Once I lost it in the past. Some update probably broke it.
I wrote about it then here:
http://waxborg.servepics.com/about-wordpress/almost-all-links-broken

And the same day:
http://waxborg.servepics.com/about-wordpress/links-seem-to-work-again

Mod_rewrite had turned itself off.
I turned it on and that was it.

Vahis
--
"Sunrise 7:27am (EET), sunset 5:40pm (EET) at Espoo, FI (10:12 hours daylight)"
http://waxborg.servepics.com