From: 12345678 123456789 on
Is there any way to set the application name or process name that
appears in task manager for a program?

From: Rob Biedenharn on

On May 21, 2010, at 9:55 AM, 12345678 123456789 wrote:

> Is there any way to set the application name or process name that
> appears in task manager for a program?

$0 = "This is my program\0"

But you might have trouble if you want to set the name to something
longer than the original program + args. (I.e., $0.length

You can also run into trouble if a process monitor (e.g., monit) is
relying on the process name.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn
http://agileconsultingllc.com
Rob(a)AgileConsultingLLC.com
http://gaslightsoftware.com
rab(a)GaslightSoftware.com

From: TJ nonstickglue on
Rob Biedenharn wrote:
> On May 21, 2010, at 9:55 AM, 12345678 123456789 wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to set the application name or process name that
>> appears in task manager for a program?
>> --
>>

> $0 = "This is my program\0"
>
> But you might have trouble if you want to set the name to something
> longer than the original program + args. (I.e., $0.length
>
> You can also run into trouble if a process monitor (e.g., monit) is
> relying on the process name.
>
> -Rob
>
> Rob Biedenharn
> http://agileconsultingllc.com
> Rob(a)AgileConsultingLLC.com
> http://gaslightsoftware.com
> rab(a)GaslightSoftware.com

Is there something I need to require at the beginning of my code because
I tried this when I googled the answer and it doesn't work. I think that
only applies to Ruby on Rails.

Here are the first few lines of my code:

$defout.sync=true

require 'uri'
require 'net/http'
require 'FileUtils'
require 'date'
require 'yaml'

$0 = "ProgramName"

From: Rob Biedenharn on
On May 21, 2010, at 10:26 AM, TJ nonstickglue wrote:

> Rob Biedenharn wrote:
>> On May 21, 2010, at 9:55 AM, 12345678 123456789 wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any way to set the application name or process name that
>>> appears in task manager for a program?
>>> --
>>>

>> $0 = "This is my program\0"
>>
>> But you might have trouble if you want to set the name to something
>> longer than the original program + args. (I.e., $0.length
>>
>> You can also run into trouble if a process monitor (e.g., monit) is
>> relying on the process name.
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>> Rob Biedenharn
>> http://agileconsultingllc.com
>> Rob(a)AgileConsultingLLC.com
>> http://gaslightsoftware.com
>> rab(a)GaslightSoftware.com
>

> Is there something I need to require at the beginning of my code
> because
> I tried this when I googled the answer and it doesn't work. I think
> that
> only applies to Ruby on Rails.
>
> Here are the first few lines of my code:
>
> $defout.sync=true
>
> require 'uri'
> require 'net/http'
> require 'FileUtils'
> require 'date'
> require 'yaml'
>
> $0 = "ProgramName"

Nothing special
[ruby-1.8.6] :Users/rab $ ruby -e '$0="Here I am\0";sleep 60' & ps ww
[1] 70676
PID TT STAT TIME COMMAND
62343 s000 S+ 0:00.28 -bash
70613 s001 S 0:00.12 -bash
70676 s001 R 0:00.00 Here I am

But you do need to include the NUL at the end "\0" I believe.

From: Mark T on
Should this survive a 1.8.7 fork?

MarkT

> [ruby-1.8.6] :Users/rab $ ruby -e '$0="Here I am\0";sleep 60' & ps ww
> [1] 70676
>  PID   TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
> 62343 s000  S+     0:00.28 -bash
> 70613 s001  S      0:00.12 -bash
> 70676 s001  R      0:00.00 Here I am
>

> But you do need to include the NUL at the end "\0" I believe.

--
(+61 4) 0679 5734
skype: govirtual.com.au

 |  Next  |  Last