From: John on
Hi

A new framework 3.5 Winform db app that works fine on two pcs, crashes on
one particular pc at start-up. The app has application framework enabled
and I have assigned a splash form and a main form. The splash form appears
for around 20 second but then app crashes with message "<app name> has
encountered a problem and need top close..." and wants to send a report to
MS. I have trapped the MyApplication_UnhandledException but it does not get
triggered as far as I can tell.

Older framework 1.1/vs2003 apps work fine on this pc. The only obvious
difference I can see between this problematic pc and others is that this one
has firefox installed in addition to IE while other pcs only have IE as
browser.

I have reinstalled fw 3.5 and sp but no luck. What can I do form here to
figure out this problem?

Many Thanks

Regards

From: Family Tree Mike on
On 4/1/2010 4:09 PM, John wrote:
> Hi
>
> A new framework 3.5 Winform db app that works fine on two pcs, crashes on
> one particular pc at start-up. The app has application framework enabled
> and I have assigned a splash form and a main form. The splash form appears
> for around 20 second but then app crashes with message "<app name> has
> encountered a problem and need top close..." and wants to send a report to
> MS. I have trapped the MyApplication_UnhandledException but it does not get
> triggered as far as I can tell.
>
> Older framework 1.1/vs2003 apps work fine on this pc. The only obvious
> difference I can see between this problematic pc and others is that this one
> has firefox installed in addition to IE while other pcs only have IE as
> browser.
>
> I have reinstalled fw 3.5 and sp but no luck. What can I do form here to
> figure out this problem?
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Regards

Since it is a db app, can you access the database from outside of your
application on the troubled pc? A 20 second splash screen sounds like a
long time. Maybe the db timeout occurs and isn't handled gracefully.
Its hard to guess without knowing what your startup routines do.

--
Mike
From: johnny_jorgensen on
I agree with Mike. I have had the same cryptic error message in an app
where it turned out that it was MS SQL Server CE objects that were no
properly closed and disposed after use.

I have ONLY had it in conjunction with SQL Server CE 3.0 and 3.5 - Not
in connection with the "real" SQL Server...

Hope this helps,
Johnny J.

Fr�n: Family Tree Mike [mailto:FamilyTreeMike(a)ThisOldHouse.com]
Anslaget den: den 1 april 2010 22:38
Anslaget i: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb
Konversation: Application crashes at start-up
�mne: Re: Application crashes at start-up

From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Hi John,

Can you sent us the computer then we can maybe help you?

By email of course.

Cor

From: johnny_jorgensen on
Nice Going, Cor. Constructive post as always...

/Johnny J.

Fr�n: Cor Ligthert[MVP] [mailto:Notmyfirstname(a)planet.nl]
Anslaget den: den 2 april 2010 13:08
Anslaget i: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb
Konversation: Application crashes at start-up
�mne: Re: Application crashes at start-up

Hi John,

Can you sent us the computer then we can maybe help you?

By email of course.

Cor

"John" <info(a)nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> A new framework 3.5 Winform db app that works fine on two pcs, crashes
on
> one particular pc at start-up. The app has application framework
enabled
> and I have assigned a splash form and a main form. The splash form
appears
> for around 20 second but then app crashes with message "<app name> has
> encountered a problem and need top close..." and wants to send a
report to
> MS. I have trapped the MyApplication_UnhandledException but it does
not
> get
> triggered as far as I can tell.
>
> Older framework 1.1/vs2003 apps work fine on this pc. The only obvious
> difference I can see between this problematic pc and others is that
this
> one
> has firefox installed in addition to IE while other pcs only have IE
as
> browser.
>
> I have reinstalled fw 3.5 and sp but no luck. What can I do form here
> figure out this problem?
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Regards
>

 |  Next  |  Last