From: Project Mangler on
Raj,

I can't duplicate your error here, the code works OK if I try to detect a
haracter other than "'" .

I'm wondering how you are going to detect a single quote at the start of a
string? e.g.

If Left(Cells(i, 4), 1) = "'" Then
MsgBox "Apostrophe!"
Else
MsgBox "No Apostrophe!"
End If

The above line copied from your post gives me No Apostrophe.

In a cell containing the string 'Length I get a Len() of 6.

DB

From: Raj on
Maybe this information will throw light on the underlying problem and
also help me with a solution:

Column 14 which is being cleaned has some cells beginning with an
apostrophe and an = sign. eg. '=KKRRNN
This has been done obviously because without the apostrophe Excel
treats the string as a formula and shows a Name error because it does
not understand the gibberish following the equal to sign.
The code was written to remove the apostrophe where one existed. I am
wondering whether the problem is occurring because string without the
apostrophe becomes a formula.

Please examine and also let me know any other way to get rid of the
leading apostrophe in a string in a cell.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Raj

From: Raj on

From: Project Mangler on
Raj,

I see the point of the single quote.

If you remove it and paste the truncated string back into the cell you will
get the name error again? Is this what you are trying to achieve or should
you remove the = as well?

From: Raj on
I want to remove the apostrophe but retain the =

Regards,
Raj