From: Angus on
Hello

I have created a decision making tree as a prelude to enhancing some code
which makes these decisions and performs various actions based on decisions.

I have used rectangles for processes and I was thinking that broadly I would
create functions to represent the processes. Anyone have any comments on
this sort of approach?

Angus

From: BGB / cr88192 on

"Angus" <nospam(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have created a decision making tree as a prelude to enhancing some code
> which makes these decisions and performs various actions based on
> decisions.
>
> I have used rectangles for processes and I was thinking that broadly I
> would create functions to represent the processes. Anyone have any
> comments on this sort of approach?

question is ambiguous...

thye reference to rectangles implies the use of flowcharts.

usually, rectangles mean to do something, and the diamonds mean to decide on
something.
the boxes with extra lines on the ends were used to represent functions.

personally though, absent some pressing need I don't really know why people
would use flowcharts, as they are much less information dense than are
typical textual descriptions.

or such...

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
"Angus" <nospam(a)gmail.com> writes:
> I have created a decision making tree as a prelude to enhancing some code
> which makes these decisions and performs various actions based on decisions.
>
> I have used rectangles for processes and I was thinking that broadly I would
> create functions to represent the processes. Anyone have any comments on
> this sort of approach?

Representing functions as boxes with inputs and outputs is indeed a
classic way to think about them.

Perhaps you could read SICP, and/or watch the lecture videos.

SICP = Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-4.html
videos: http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/
http://www.codepoetics.com/wiki/index.php?title=Topics:SICP_in_other_languages
http://eli.thegreenplace.net/category/programming/lisp/sicp/
http://www.neilvandyke.org/sicp-plt/

From: Nick Keighley on
On 31 July, 16:09, "Angus" <nos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I have created a decision making tree as a prelude to enhancing some code
> which makes these decisions and performs various actions based on decisions.
>
> I have used rectangles for processes and I was thinking that broadly I would
> create functions to represent the processes.  Anyone have any comments on
> this sort of approach?

write a decision making tree interpreter and load your decision making
tree into it. Turning rectangles into somthing readable I leave as an
excercise for the student.