From: Clark F Morris on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 00:20:07 -0700, "James J. Gavan"
<jgavandeletethis(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>> much snipped
>
>During my 12 years in the RAF the bane of my life was the paralleling to
>Margaret the little lassie above. Throughout the RAF the Air Ministry
>regularly used to distribute AMOs (Air Ministry Orders). Didn't matter
>what the topic was, flying safety, aircraft accidents, promotion
>procedures, disciplinary procedures, fire fighting, catering, autos,
>frame fitting, engine fitting, etc......, the next one issued got the
>next AMO number for the current year in sequence. Absolutely no
>splitting by topic. In the admin game I would be the one the officers
>would pester for, "I saw something about xxxxx I think around ...yyyyy.
>Could you please find it for me ?" OMG !
>
>Guess what system J4 use ?
>
>I know I've mentioned it to them. What notice they took I don't know,
>but at least at the end of the year they produce an index, as one of the
>last J4 documents for that year. It's 'incredibly' helpful - it lists
>documents in numerical ascending sequence by documents number. (About as
>useful as giving me an Index for the AMOs in air force days). And so far
>as I can see, there's no search engine to reference the documents by
>date, title or topic. Extremely useful.
>
>Remember the main people in this J4 racket are representing some fair
>sized corporations - would IBM stand for this clap-trap internally.

Unfortunately many of us who have dealt with IBM (and our own shops)
would answer YES. In some areas organizations can be extremely
backwards. See the periodic discussions on bit.listserv.ibm-main
about the MVS only recognizing Count Key Data formatted disks and not
recognizing Fixed Block Architecture disks for anything. Most
operating systems only recognized Fixed Block Architecture.

From: James J. Gavan on
Clark F Morris wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 00:20:07 -0700, "James J. Gavan"
>>Guess what system J4 use ?
>>
>>I know I've mentioned it to them. What notice they took I don't know,
>>but at least at the end of the year they produce an index, as one of the
>>last J4 documents for that year. It's 'incredibly' helpful - it lists
>>documents in numerical ascending sequence by documents number. (About as
>>useful as giving me an Index for the AMOs in air force days). And so far
>>as I can see, there's no search engine to reference the documents by
>>date, title or topic. Extremely useful.
>>
>>Remember the main people in this J4 racket are representing some fair
>>sized corporations - would IBM stand for this clap-trap internally.

> Unfortunately many of us who have dealt with IBM (and our own shops)
> would answer YES. In some areas organizations can be extremely
> backwards. See the periodic discussions on bit.listserv.ibm-main
> about the MVS only recognizing Count Key Data formatted disks and not
> recognizing Fixed Block Architecture disks for anything. Most
> operating systems only recognized Fixed Block Architecture.

Well Clark, I did write it as an afterthought with a little bit of
tongue in cheek. Anticipated somebody would be a little more cheery than
you in their defence. Only about a year ago searched their site and they
are excellent on COBOL examples using SQL and written in COBOL. Even if
the particular DB doesn't have all they cover, nevertheless its nice to
see each example in COBOL and not shooting off to one of the new cryptic
languages.

I just e-mailed somebody privately - Don't think I can do cryptic. Well
I damn well can. First years in RAF I was learning Pitman's shorthand.
You want cryptic, google to get a Wikipedia example of Pitman's
shorthand. And I hated it :-)

Jimmy, Calgary AB