From: Ksean on
My Outlook 2007 email folder is huge so I am looking to archive some old
files but Outlook has me scared to death that it is going to permanently
delete my files or hide them in some sort of Twilight Zone where they will
never be seen again. I have read in many forums about the difficulty working
with the Outlook archive tool. I do not want to lose my older emails I just
want to store them else ware.

How do I archive WITHOUT deleting my files?

How can I retrieve single files or folders as needed?

Thanks.
From: joefox on
Archiving isn't a bad solution when done properly. Outlook unfortunately
makes this more difficult than it should be, but it does work. It shouldn't
delete any messages. It will just move them to a .pst file, which you can
also copy and store on an external hard drive or other if you're concerned
about losing messages.

- To start with, click Tools>Options...>Other tab>Auto Archive...
- Set the options you want. There is a field that says, "Move old items to:"
That is where your archive files will be stored. It will look similar to the
following -

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst

- If you navigate there (you may have to show hidden files and folders to
see the folder), you can copy the archive.pst file to another place. That
way, if Outlook ever has to be re-installed, you can re-import that .pst file
and have all of your archived messages.

After you create the archive file, it will appear under your Mailbox in
Outlook and you can manually copy Outlook folders or emails to it be dragging
and dropping within Outlook.

From: joefox on
Little bit more info - it appears that the Office clipboard is not clearing
and is pasting the help icon that is on the clipboard. Any thoughts on how to
clear the clipboard without creating a batch file to do so?