From: Ben Hubbell on
Hello,

My web host does not have join queries in phpMyAdmin enabled. My web
host is inexpensive, but their commitment to costumer service is
inconsistent. They often dismiss bug reports as feature requests.

When pressed to enable join queries in phpMyAdmin several years ago, my
web host stated that join queries in phpMyAdmin were a security hazard.
Do you know if such a security hazard exists?

Regards,

Ben
From: Phpster on
No more so than in any other SQL query

Bastien

Sent from my iPod

From: Chris on
Ben Hubbell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My web host does not have join queries in phpMyAdmin enabled. My web
> host is inexpensive, but their commitment to costumer service is
> inconsistent. They often dismiss bug reports as feature requests.
>
> When pressed to enable join queries in phpMyAdmin several years ago, my
> web host stated that join queries in phpMyAdmin were a security hazard.
> Do you know if such a security hazard exists?

I've never used phpmyadmin as a query builder - can you really disable
joins in there? Wow.

No way they are a security hazard.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

From: "TG" on
The only issue I see and maybe why they'd disable it is so you don't do a
crazy join that ends up returning 8 billion rows. But they should be
able to manage that with query execution time timeouts or something and
you can do the same thing with bad implied inner joins in the WHERE
clause anyway.. but maybe it's harder to detect that and block it.