From: Maaartin on
On Apr 23, 3:09 pm, bmearns <mearn...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> A better option, if you this is the sort of service you want, is to
> set up a webserver for yourself, host the service on your own
> webserver (after inspecting the code to make sure it only does the
> right thing), and always make a secure connection to ensure no one can
> swap out their own JavaScript for yours. If you already have a
> webserver with a secure connection and know how to write JavaScript
> and server-side script, then this is a pretty reasonable option.

I agree with you, but see no reason for doing this. Using an offline
password manager (like KeePass or PasswordSafe) and backup the file
(using either (s)ftp or http(s) with JavaScript) is easier and has
IMHO no disadvantage. An offline password manager with build-in backup
option would be even better.

From: bmearns on
On Apr 23, 9:26 am, Maaartin <grajc...(a)seznam.cz> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 3:09 pm, bmearns <mearn...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > A better option, if you this is the sort of service you want, is to
> > set up a webserver for yourself, host the service on your own
> > webserver (after inspecting the code to make sure it only does the
> > right thing), and always make a secure connection to ensure no one can
> > swap out their own JavaScript for yours. If you already have a
> > webserver with a secure connection and know how to write JavaScript
> > and server-side script, then this is a pretty reasonable option.
>
> I agree with you, but see no reason for doing this. Using an offline
> password manager (like KeePass or PasswordSafe) and backup the file
> (using either (s)ftp or http(s) with JavaScript) is easier and has
> IMHO no disadvantage. An offline password manager with build-in backup
> option would be even better.

Well one disadvantage is that you need to have the software with you.
I presume that they are available in portable versions that can be run
from an portable drive, but depending on your circumstances, this can
be a significant disadvantage.

-Brian
From: Anonymous on
Ohm <Ohm(a)no.no> wrote:

> >> Can a password manager such as one of the listed above be trusted?
> >
> > No. You need to trust the owner of the online password manager.
> >
> I do not see where I should trust them, the encryption is performed on my
> browser
> before the data is sent, even if they read it, the password is still
> encrypted.

Thats what is done over at Hushmail, yet they can still be forced
by a court order to change the code in order to record your
password. This has happened more than once too.

From: Ohm on

From: bmearns on
On Apr 21, 2:12 am, Ohm <O...(a)no.no> wrote:
> >> Can a password manager such as one of the listed above be trusted?
>
> > No. You need to trust the owner of the online password manager.
>
> I do not see where I should trust them, the encryption is performed on my
> browser
> before the data is sent, even if they read it, the password is still
> encrypted.

So they claim, but it would be trivial for them to send the
unencrypted password to themselves from that same script. Unless you
put your browser into offline mode or carefully check the source code
every time you run it, you really don't know what they're doing.

-Brian