From: commiebastard on
I've got an external Firewire 800 drive I use for Time Machine
backups, but it's also partitioned into 2 other volumes I want to
share with another computer that's also Firewire capable. I want to
split the Firewire cable to connect to both computers simultaneously.
From: nospam on
In article
<fc0c3132-6f80-4f09-b5e3-281ecd9eedb2(a)p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
commiebastard <oraclmaster(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got an external Firewire 800 drive I use for Time Machine
> backups, but it's also partitioned into 2 other volumes I want to
> share with another computer that's also Firewire capable. I want to
> split the Firewire cable to connect to both computers simultaneously.

you can't connect one drive to two computers, no matter what the
interface is.

share it from one computer and access it via the network.
From: Don Bruder on
In article <071120092144505516%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article
> <fc0c3132-6f80-4f09-b5e3-281ecd9eedb2(a)p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
> commiebastard <oraclmaster(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've got an external Firewire 800 drive I use for Time Machine
> > backups, but it's also partitioned into 2 other volumes I want to
> > share with another computer that's also Firewire capable. I want to
> > split the Firewire cable to connect to both computers simultaneously.
>
> you can't connect one drive to two computers, no matter what the
> interface is.
>
> share it from one computer and access it via the network.

There's always the old fallback: "sneakernet". :)

Firewire hot-swaps, right?

Why am I reminded of a tagline I saw ages ago? It went something like
"It's all too easy to underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon
loaded with backup media."

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me
From: P. Sture on
In article <hd5ulf$v6$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Don Bruder <dakidd(a)sonic.net> wrote:

> In article <071120092144505516%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
> nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <fc0c3132-6f80-4f09-b5e3-281ecd9eedb2(a)p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
> > commiebastard <oraclmaster(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I've got an external Firewire 800 drive I use for Time Machine
> > > backups, but it's also partitioned into 2 other volumes I want to
> > > share with another computer that's also Firewire capable. I want to
> > > split the Firewire cable to connect to both computers simultaneously.
> >
> > you can't connect one drive to two computers, no matter what the
> > interface is.
> >
> > share it from one computer and access it via the network.
>
> There's always the old fallback: "sneakernet". :)
>
> Firewire hot-swaps, right?

That's what I've recently done to migrate my data from ,y iBook to my
PowerBook. I didn't even need to move the drives since they sit
together; I just swapped the cables.

> Why am I reminded of a tagline I saw ages ago? It went something like
> "It's all too easy to underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon
> loaded with backup media."

I found this, attributed to Dennis Ritchie:

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes"

<http://www.bpfh.net/sysadmin/never-underestimate-bandwidth.html>

For a home user nowadays this may be more appropriate:

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of an attach� case full of disks."

Mind you, a decade ago I had to transfer several hundred gigabytes from
one building to another. Getting the paperwork to move the physical
tapes out of one secure area and into another wouldn't happen until
after the weekend, so I used the network instead and it was all done for
Monday morning.

--
Paul Sture
From: Phil Stripling on
In article <071120092144505516%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam
<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article
> <fc0c3132-6f80-4f09-b5e3-281ecd9eedb2(a)p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
> commiebastard <oraclmaster(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've got an external Firewire 800 drive I use for Time Machine
> > backups, but it's also partitioned into 2 other volumes I want to
> > share with another computer that's also Firewire capable. I want to
> > split the Firewire cable to connect to both computers simultaneously.
>
> you can't connect one drive to two computers, no matter what the
> interface is.
>
> share it from one computer and access it via the network.

That's why I use ethernet NAS for my back ups. I've got a couple of
desktop Macs, a windows desktop, and a few laptops (Macs, Windows, and
Linux) which can connect to the NAS via cable in my ethernet wired
house.

Although we also use wifi, it's nice to have a hard wire that doesn't
broadcast and a gigabit ethernet router. Reasonably fast access for all
computers.

I haven't tried accessing Firewire connected drives through other
computers. Is it possible to share the volumes and have other computers
see them through the home network? Assuming the original poster has
one.