From: Davoud on
Thanks to all who replied. I "fixed" it by restoring from a SuperDuper
backup.

I have no idea what caused the event, and I have no idea where the
excess files were hidden. sudo du -sh ~/* didn't show anything unusual
(I compared the directory sizes on the affected drive with the those on
the unaffected external drive). I'm beginning to suspect that a corrupt
database caused the system to _think_ that the drive was full. OTOH,
repeated runnings of Disk Warrior and Disk Utility failed to turn up
anything.

As I was researching this I turned up an old bit of information about
Photoshop 7 causing such a problem. The front application at the time
of the incident was PS CS3. Perhaps the bug is merely sleeping and some
odd chain of events woke it up? Like Mothra.

Thanks again,

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
From: Bream Rockmetteller on
On 2009-11-07 14:54:29 -0800, Davoud <star(a)sky.net> said:

> As I was researching this I turned up an old bit of information about
> Photoshop 7 causing such a problem. The front application at the time
> of the incident was PS CS3. Perhaps the bug is merely sleeping and some
> odd chain of events woke it up? Like Mothra.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Davoud

Only if you're Photoshopping a pair of tiny, singing twins.
--
Bream Rockmetteller
Donaldson's Dog Joy

From: Davoud on
Davoud:
> > As I was researching this I turned up an old bit of information about
> > Photoshop 7 causing such a problem. The front application at the time
> > of the incident was PS CS3. Perhaps the bug is merely sleeping and some
> > odd chain of events woke it up? Like Mothra.

Bream Rockmetteller:
> Only if you're Photoshopping a pair of tiny, singing twins.

I find that to be oddly enchanting and beautiful. I once just thought
it was weird, but after living in Asia for more than 10 years and
learning a bit about the Asian mind, the numerous deities, the myths,
the fantasies, the magic, I came to appreciate that scene.

From: Bream Rockmetteller on
On 2009-11-07 22:31:25 -0800, Davoud <star(a)sky.net> said:

> Davoud:
>>> As I was researching this I turned up an old bit of information about
>>> Photoshop 7 causing such a problem. The front application at the time
>>> of the incident was PS CS3. Perhaps the bug is merely sleeping and some
>>> odd chain of events woke it up? Like Mothra.
>
> Bream Rockmetteller:
>> Only if you're Photoshopping a pair of tiny, singing twins.
>
> I find that to be oddly enchanting and beautiful. I once just thought
> it was weird, but after living in Asia for more than 10 years and
> learning a bit about the Asian mind, the numerous deities, the myths,
> the fantasies, the magic, I came to appreciate that scene.
>
> Davoud

Thank you.
--
Bream Rockmetteller
Donaldson's Dog Joy

From: Matthew Lybanon on
In article <071120091754294464%star(a)sky.net>, Davoud <star(a)sky.net>
wrote:

> Thanks to all who replied. I "fixed" it by restoring from a SuperDuper
> backup.
>
> I have no idea what caused the event, and I have no idea where the
> excess files were hidden. sudo du -sh ~/* didn't show anything unusual
> (I compared the directory sizes on the affected drive with the those on
> the unaffected external drive). I'm beginning to suspect that a corrupt
> database caused the system to _think_ that the drive was full. OTOH,
> repeated runnings of Disk Warrior and Disk Utility failed to turn up
> anything.
>
> As I was researching this I turned up an old bit of information about
> Photoshop 7 causing such a problem. The front application at the time
> of the incident was PS CS3. Perhaps the bug is merely sleeping and some
> odd chain of events woke it up? Like Mothra.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Davoud

The "runaway process" idea may be it. One time something similar
happened to me. I found that log files were suddenly consuming lots of
space, and Safari was writing the files. I unchecked some automatic
update checkbox in the RSS preferences (earlier version; looks like
whatever was causing it got fixed in the version I am now running),
deleted the humongous log file, and haven't had that problem since then.