From: Davoud on
MB Pro 17, 10.6.1, 4 GB RAM...

I installed a 500 GB drive in this machine some months ago. It has
performed flawlessly. It has (or had until last night) about 206 GB of
free space.

In the wee hours of this morning, as I was working on an image in
Photoshop, a pop-up warning told me that the disk was full. I was
running quite a few apps besides Photoshop; for example, I was running
Screen Sharing to control another MB Pro that was collecting image data
in my little astronomical observatory
http://www.primordial-light.com/macastronomer.html>.

I have done the simple things: Ran fsck. Booted from my SuperDuper!
backup FW drive and run Disk Utility's repair and repair permissions.
Erased free space. Rebuilt the directory with Disk Warrior. Checked
files and folders with Disk Warrior.

The drive now shows 4.3 GB available, which means that a bit over 200
GB is missing.

I have a full SuperDuper! backup and a Time Machine backup of my home
directory, plus a backup to a terabyte RAID drive, so I am not much
concerned about losing data, but the time involved in restoring from
SuperDuper is considerable, so if anyone has a fix short of a full
restore I would be grateful to hear of it!

TIA!

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kir=E1ly?= on
Davoud <star(a)sky.net> wrote:
> The drive now shows 4.3 GB available, which means that a bit over 200
> GB is missing.

Download GrandPerspective. It will show you graphically what is using
up the space on your drive.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
From: Fred Moore on
In article <071120091130035772%star(a)sky.net>, Davoud <star(a)sky.net>
wrote:

> MB Pro 17, 10.6.1, 4 GB RAM...
>
> I installed a 500 GB drive in this machine some months ago. It has
> performed flawlessly. It has (or had until last night) about 206 GB of
> free space.
>
> In the wee hours of this morning, as I was working on an image in
> Photoshop, a pop-up warning told me that the disk was full. I was
> running quite a few apps besides Photoshop; for example, I was running
> Screen Sharing to control another MB Pro that was collecting image data
> in my little astronomical observatory
> http://www.primordial-light.com/macastronomer.html>.
>
> I have done the simple things: Ran fsck. Booted from my SuperDuper!
> backup FW drive and run Disk Utility's repair and repair permissions.
> Erased free space. Rebuilt the directory with Disk Warrior. Checked
> files and folders with Disk Warrior.
>
> The drive now shows 4.3 GB available, which means that a bit over 200
> GB is missing.
>
> I have a full SuperDuper! backup and a Time Machine backup of my home
> directory, plus a backup to a terabyte RAID drive, so I am not much
> concerned about losing data, but the time involved in restoring from
> SuperDuper is considerable, so if anyone has a fix short of a full
> restore I would be grateful to hear of it!

If it were my machine, I'd use OnyX (free/donationware) or equivalent to
turn on Show Invisibles. Then I'd display the root directory and sort by
size, descending order. Any folder/directory over 100GB would be
suspect. Open it/them up and see what's so large. My guess is that there
is either a runaway log file or a scratch file which isn't being
properly deleted. The directory, /private/, and its sub-directories,
/private/tmp/ and /private/var/, are likely candidates; but the
culprit(s) could easily be somethng else. (There are terminal commands
to do this, but I don't know what they are.)

Good luck!
From: Andreas Rutishauser on
Salut Davoud

wrote:

> MB Pro 17, 10.6.1, 4 GB RAM...
>
> I installed a 500 GB drive in this machine some months ago. It has
> performed flawlessly. It has (or had until last night) about 206 GB of
> free space.

> The drive now shows 4.3 GB available, which means that a bit over 200
> GB is missing.

did you by accident remove your external drive with the SuoerDuper!
backup during a backup action? SuperDuper! will happily continue copying
stuff to your local drive...
Have a look in the hidden folder Volumes for your lost space...

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
From: Davoud on

Davoud:
> > The drive now shows 4.3 GB available, which means that a bit over 200
> > GB is missing.

Fred Moore:
> If it were my machine, I'd use OnyX (free/donationware) or equivalent to
> turn on Show Invisibles. Then I'd display the root directory and sort by
> size, descending order. Any folder/directory over 100GB would be
> suspect. Open it/them up and see what's so large. My guess is that there
> is either a runaway log file or a scratch file which isn't being
> properly deleted. The directory, /private/, and its sub-directories,
> /private/tmp/ and /private/var/, are likely candidates; but the
> culprit(s) could easily be somethng else. (There are terminal commands
> to do this, but I don't know what they are.)

ls -l -a is one way. Quicker than practically any download! Always
happy to help the helper.

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm