From: J. Clarke on
On 7/28/2010 11:41 PM, Peter wrote:
> "Scotius" <yodasbud(a)mnsi.net> wrote in message
>
>> Well, you've convinced me. I still think B & W infra-red is a
>> good idea for not bothering a band or crew though... or am I wrong
>> about that too? Oh God don't let me be wrong about that too... can an
>> IR flash be seen (I'm hoping not)?
>
> BW infra red changes the tonal quality of BW: You may also have focusing
> issues, unless you have an infra red marker on your lens. I have
> starting experimenting with it, by having one of my digital cameras
> converted to IR. The only way you can get IR color is in post
> processing. You can convert some colors to pseudo IR color. For rock
> bends you might get some interesting effects, but don't count on
> faithful reproduction.
>
> Here are some links to get you started:
>
> http://www.tutorial9.net/photography/infrared-photography/
>
> http://www.tutorial9.net/resources/101-absolutely-breathtaking-infrared-photographs/

IR is good for snipers and for special effects, but if you're shooting a
concert there is no substitute for high ISO and large aperture.

Some fabrics are somewhat transparent in infrared--you may end up
effectively shooting your performers in their underwear. Here's one
example that demonstrates the issue:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHCDknFbDU&feature=related>. If you
search youtube on "see through clothing infrared" or "nightshot see
through clothes" you'll find numerous other examples.