From: John on
It's been a number of years since I built my pc and want to find out if
there's a site(s) that is designed to provide a list of mobos fitting a
set of specs as a starting point for researching specific ones.

I'm undecided what direction I want to go yet, so such a site (if there
were one) would let me quickly toss around ideas and mobo feature
combinations. For example, I'd like to develop a list of mobos, mfr
and model number grouped by CPU (for example, P4, dual core, i7) and
relevant features from which I could then do more research.

Thanks,

John
From: Paul on
John wrote:
> It's been a number of years since I built my pc and want to find out if
> there's a site(s) that is designed to provide a list of mobos fitting a
> set of specs as a starting point for researching specific ones.
>
> I'm undecided what direction I want to go yet, so such a site (if there
> were one) would let me quickly toss around ideas and mobo feature
> combinations. For example, I'd like to develop a list of mobos, mfr
> and model number grouped by CPU (for example, P4, dual core, i7) and
> relevant features from which I could then do more research.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

No site lists all features in a search-able fashion.
Least of all, the manufacturer's site. In fact, they've only
become worse in that respect.

You can try the Advanced Search function on Newegg, but
even that doesn't sort things fine enough for what you propose.
It'll get you a list of a hundred motherboards suitable for
a certain socket, but then you'll still have to read a
hundred descriptions to figure out the differences.

Click "Advanced Search" here, as an example.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=280&name=Intel-Motherboards

The "mobot" provides a means of searching older motherboards,
but even this thing is not a complete list by any means. And
the search terms are still not ideal.

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/

The selection process is still hard work, no matter
how you do it.

Even if you did find such an ideal search tool, it wouldn't
uncover the interesting details, such as which PCI Express slots
are sub-wired (not all lanes present), or cases where enabling a
certain feature, disables certain expansion slots. That takes
architectural analysis, to uncover a shortage of resources. Usually,
you get some inkling, by downloading the manual, and seeing "admissions
of guilt" inside. That, to me, is one of the advancements in the
industry, in that virtually all manufacturers allow you to download
the manual in advance.

So there really shouldn't be any surprises, with that as an available
information source. Compare chipset capabilities, to what is claimed
in the manual, and you can figure most all of it out.

Personally, I find the expansion slot layout to be a key difference.
The reason that is important, is the expansion slots on modern systems
tend to be less usable. My previous motherboard, was full of
PCI slots, and I could easily install three expansion cards
at the same time. On my current one, I have to juggle the video
card, and it knocking out a useful PCI slot next to it, with my
add-in cards such as my WinTV card (yes, we still have analog TV here).
So even if you spot a nice collection of connectors on the I/O plate
of the motherboard, the expansion slot configuration may make the
motherboard a PITA to use. I know some people never use an expansion slot,
but I do, and I still buy full sized ATX motherboards to get that
feature.

Paul
From: Rick on

--

Rick Holbrook
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

Reply to: fholbrookatcableone.net

From: "nobody >" on
On 5/29/2010 10:41 AM, John wrote:
> It's been a number of years since I built my pc and want to find out if
> there's a site(s) that is designed to provide a list of mobos fitting a
> set of specs as a starting point for researching specific ones.
>
> I'm undecided what direction I want to go yet, so such a site (if there
> were one) would let me quickly toss around ideas and mobo feature
> combinations. For example, I'd like to develop a list of mobos, mfr
> and model number grouped by CPU (for example, P4, dual core, i7) and
> relevant features from which I could then do more research.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

May not be exactly what you are looking for, but try using NewEgg's
configurator thingies

For AMD:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=22&name=AMD-Motherboards

For Intel:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=280&name=Intel-Motherboards
From: numbnuts2 on
Paul has the right approach. List your basic priorities: purpose of
box~gaming, graphics, business, downloading music, server or basic
browsing. Make a simple chart (forget about mobo brands at this point).
As an example:

primary use=web-browsing and saving tons of photos and music

cost of homebuilt box= $450 max

use of components already on hand= two ok-speed HD's, decent enclosure
w/fans, internal DVD, maybe a decent power-supply, an external firewire
device.

board size and expansion needs= ex: ATX PCI slotsX3, firewire, native
audio okay, newest SATA, RAID, PCIe NOT needed, overclocking BIOS not a
priority. Maybe power consumption is important to you.

CPU brand vs: Operating System=
Windows or Ubuntu? Ubuntu users tend to prefer AMD.
Windows guys go with either Intel or AMD.

Processor socket-class= ex: you will be installing Linux on an AMD
board. You want upgrade potential without paying for hot, newest mobos
or graphics cards. You settle on a Socket AM2+ board for its flexibility
and the price for a two year old model is cheap when bundled with a
lower wattage dual-core AMD processor.

Graphics board= again, a two year old medium capacity card known to be
useful with OS and chipsets.

Chipsets= for this example, look at AMD website to see compatible
chipsets. Also check Linux fora to see what users have to say about ,
say, 2008 vintage chipsets on AMD boards.

With these basic requirements met, just list half a dozen boards which
have tested well at Tom's or whatever. Gigabyte has lots of boards for
this use. They also have had a tendency to release new products with
sub-par BIOS versions. ASUS, lots of AMD bds with a good record for
Linux use. They also have earned the irkness of many posters, either for
lack of support or inconsistent QC (ala Sony). This mobo selection is a
real dog unless you just take a handful of well-reviewed boards and make
that your list. Don't worry about it past that. Get the best bundled
deal from a reputable seller and have some fun.

Note on sellers: See the store's written return policy. Also give
store's service rep a phone call befor buying. You'll get a feel for the
dealer's willingness to spend time with you on the phone and offer solid
recommendations (ask about anything..LCD tv's, anything, just to draw
the guy into a conversation).