From: Harry Putnam on
`Subject: Are there faster waps than dwl2100AP'

Something of a lamer question on the subject line I guess, but with
zero knowledge about wireless networking... digging up that kind of
information can really be daunting.... no idea what to search for or
how to determine what is possible with current wireless technology.
There is so much information available... I'm lost as to how to find
specific information.

My DWL 2100 AP is a few yrs old.. probably 3 or there abouts.
The most recent firmware doesn't work for me, but 1 version older
(Version 2.11) works so I use that firmware.

I wondered if there are waps available now that offer higher speeds.
That is, if there are newer wireless protocols or whatever that allow
faster data transfer... something that my older dwl2100ap may not be
capable of?

My home lan network is pretty basic:

Internet => cable modem => netgear(FVS318) firewall/router

Six machines are wired by ethernet to the router, and 1 wap (dwl2100AP)

Less network intensive things like plain browsing seem pretty normal,
or fairly comparable to wired segments of the home lan, but certain
kinds of network intensive activety seem barely possible with my
current setup. Something like vnc connections are almost intolerably
slow over the wireless segment.

In other words, pulling a whole gui desktop from remote host across
the wireless segment is very annoyingly slow. But not so on the wired
segments.
From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Harry
Putnam chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> Less network intensive things like plain browsing seem pretty normal,
> or fairly comparable to wired segments of the home lan, but certain
> kinds of network intensive activety seem barely possible with my
> current setup. Something like vnc connections are almost intolerably
> slow over the wireless segment.

This may be due to latency rather than throughput. What sort of ping times
are you seeing wired<>wireless? Try a speed test with iperf. Best I've ever
seen on 802.11G is about 22Mbps. With 11N I've seen 60Mbps. Remember that
Wifi is half duplex so turning off P2P [for example] on a machine you're
trying to VNC to over wireless maybe improve things.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
19:05:58 up 4 days, 9:37, 4 users, load average: 0.11, 0.22, 0.48
From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 20:07:14 -0500, Harry Putnam <reader(a)newsguy.com>
wrote:

> `Subject: Are there faster waps than dwl2100AP'

<http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/>

Any of the wireless routers listed can be used as an access point:
<http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi_How_To#Use_a_wireless_router_as_a_wireless_access_point>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
From: Mike Easter on
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> Any of the wireless routers listed can be used as an access point:
> <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi_How_To#Use_a_wireless_router_as_a_wireless_access_point>

Could you please elaborate on this line?

May need to use crossover type cable.

.... referring to the ethernet cable to a LAN port on the router/accesspoint.

Or, if there is something in the wiki about that crossover business,
start me in the right direction. That is, I know what a crossover cable
is; I just don't know how this maybe, maybe not, works in this application.

--
Mike Easter
From: John Navas on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:44:22 -0700, in
<8arhs9FuhjU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Mike Easter <MikeE(a)ster.invalid>
wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>
>> Any of the wireless routers listed can be used as an access point:
>> <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi_How_To#Use_a_wireless_router_as_a_wireless_access_point>
>
>Could you please elaborate on this line?
>
>May need to use crossover type cable.
>
>... referring to the ethernet cable to a LAN port on the router/accesspoint.
>
>Or, if there is something in the wiki about that crossover business,
>start me in the right direction. That is, I know what a crossover cable
>is; I just don't know how this maybe, maybe not, works in this application.

There is usually no need for a crossover cable -- most ports these days
are self-configuring -- so try it first, just get a cheap crossover
cable if the port won't enable otherwise.

--
John FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>