From: SMS on
On 21/07/10 9:29 AM, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Yes, as I have said, it is top end technology. I would put a case on my
> phone, so if I had an iPhone 4 I am sure I would be one of the 99.5% happy
> customers.

So you subscribe to the theory that every customer that doesn't complain
to the manufacturer about a specific problem is happy?

If only 0.1% told the manufacturer that they were happy would that mean
that 99.9% are unhappy?

The bumper/case solves the problem and that's great. But to claim that
other handsets have the same problem is ludicrous.
From: SMS on
On 21/07/10 9:29 AM, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> I suggested one video. But in point of fact, the iPhone 4 antenna is state of
> the art [it looks like a fractal design which is the way of the future micro
> antenna designs], but, they use the outer shell for conductance and then put a
> gap in that shell which placing your finger over it short circuits
> essentially.

Good article that may help nospam understand is at
"http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/07/apples-antenna-problem-is-different/".
From: SMS on
On 21/07/10 8:15 AM, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Or just watch his speech on apple.com and he goes over it in his presentation
> from last week. One thing that is not true is that they did indeed know about
> the problem for more than 22 days [as of the time of his speech]. I have
> already seen reports [from before the speech] that an engineer [who was named,
> although I don't recall it] warned of the issue, but they seem to have
> dismissed it; I guess in favor of aesthetics.

Marketing trumps engineering concerns at many companies. The antenna
engineer was spot-on in explaining to management the issues with the
external antenna, which as all antenna experts have stated were very
obvious. How the story leaked out is another story, it should not have
left the confines of the company.

I've warned customers of problems with their seemingly clever designs.
Thermal, EMI, and antenna issues are almost always the most difficult
issues in the design of a portable electronics product because there are
so many conflicting requirements. You need cooling but you don't want
openings for air flow and you don't want fans and you don't want
expensive heat pipes. You need the antenna to work but you don't want
any other EMI. The thermal and antenna issues need to be considered with
the product held in different orientations. I had a customer that wanted
a fanless system that would operate horizontally or vertically with
almost no venting. They designed an enclosure without considering the
chimney effect, so in one orientation the product would overheat and
thermal management firmware would reduce the CPU speed to reduce the heat.
From: SMS on
On 21/07/10 12:03 PM, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> In alt.cellular.verizon SMS<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>> On 21/07/10 9:29 AM, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, as I have said, it is top end technology. I would put a case on my
>>> phone, so if I had an iPhone 4 I am sure I would be one of the 99.5% happy
>>> customers.
>>
>> So you subscribe to the theory that every customer that doesn't complain
>> to the manufacturer about a specific problem is happy?
>
> That is an unhappy inference on your part. I am simply referring to the other
> 99.5% of customers who have NOT complained about the antenna.

I know what you meant, but that's not what you said. It's important to
not imply that just because only 0.5% of customers complain that the
other 99.5% are perfectly happy--it doesn't work that way.

"It is estimated that for every customer complaint received, there are
at least 26 complaints that are never expressed. ... Furthermore, a
customer with a complaint is likely to tell 20-25 other customers and
potential customers about his complaint.

"http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hr005"
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> In alt.cellular.verizon SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>> On 21/07/10 9:29 AM, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, as I have said, it is top end technology. I would put a case on my
>>> phone, so if I had an iPhone 4 I am sure I would be one of the 99.5% happy
>>> customers.
<snip>

> I didn't claim other handsets have the same problem. I claimed that other
> handsets have a signal problem when gripped in "normal" ways as shown in Steve
> Jobs [and apparently other] videos, but the issue with the iPhone 4 is unique
> due to the nature of it's antenna and the fact that simply touching one spot
> on the case/antenna can cause a very significant signal loss and that deos NOT
> happen with other phones (I suppose older ones with external antennas, but I
> have a hunch touching the antenna would help, not hurt reception in that
> case).

I just tested my Motorola RAZR V3m. I'm sitting at my computer in a
room in the second story of my house. I have three, out of a possible
four bars in my signal strength display. I can touch any part of the
phone without affecting the signal strength display!

*Some* other handsets may have the problem but clearly it's not "all"!