From: Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet on
Donald Knuth once remarked (I think it was him) that what matters for a program
is the name, and that he'd come up with a really good name, now all he'd had to
do was figure out what it should be all about.

And so considering Sturla Molden's recent posting about unavailability of MSVC
9.0 (aka Visual C++ 2008) for creating Python extensions in Windows, and my
unimaginative reply proposing names like "pni" and "pynacoin" for a compiler
independent Python native code interface, suddenly, as if out of thin air, or
perhaps out of fish pudding, the name "pyni" occurred to me.

"pyni"! Pronounced like "tiny"! Yay!

I sat down and made my first Python extension module, following the tutorial in
the docs. It worked!

But, wait, perhaps some other extension is already named "piny"?

Google.

<url: http://code.google.com/p/pyni/>, "PyNI is [a] config file reader/writer".

Argh!

- Alf

From: Richard Thomas on
On Jul 7, 3:11 am, "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <alf.p.steinbach
+use...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Donald Knuth once remarked (I think it was him) that what matters for a program
> is the name, and that he'd come up with a really good name, now all he'd had to
> do was figure out what it should be all about.
>
> And so considering Sturla Molden's recent posting about unavailability of MSVC
> 9.0 (aka Visual C++ 2008) for creating Python extensions in Windows, and my
> unimaginative reply proposing names like "pni" and "pynacoin" for a compiler
> independent Python native code interface, suddenly, as if out of thin air, or
> perhaps out of fish pudding, the name "pyni" occurred to me.
>
> "pyni"! Pronounced like "tiny"! Yay!
>
> I sat down and made my first Python extension module, following the tutorial in
> the docs. It worked!
>
> But, wait, perhaps some other extension is already named "piny"?
>
> Google.
>
> <url:http://code.google.com/p/pyni/>, "PyNI is [a] config file reader/writer".
>
> Argh!
>
> - Alf
>
> --
> blog at <url:http://alfps.wordpress.com>

PyNI seems to perform the same function as ConfigParser. I prefer the
pronunciation like tiny to Py-N-I. The latter seems clunky.

On a possibly related note I was disappointed to discover that
Python's QT bindings are called PyQT not QTPy. :-)

Chard.
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 7/6/10 8:25 PM, Shashwat Anand wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Richard Thomas <chardster(a)gmail.com
> <mailto:chardster(a)gmail.com>> wrote:
> On a possibly related note I was disappointed to discover that
> Python's QT bindings are called PyQT not QTPy. :-)
> Isn't this the standard.
> Qt -> PyQt
> crypto -> pycrypto
> MT -> PyMT

I think the point is QTPy would be pronounced "cutie pie" :)

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

From: rantingrick on
On Jul 6, 9:11 pm, "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <alf.p.steinbach
+use...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> "pyni"! Pronounced like "tiny"! Yay!

hmm, how's about an alternate spelling... "pyknee", or "pynee", or
"pynie" ... considering those are not taken either?

From: Rami Chowdhury on
On Tuesday 06 July 2010 22:42:25 rantingrick wrote:
> On Jul 6, 9:11 pm, "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <alf.p.steinbach
>
> +use...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > "pyni"! Pronounced like "tiny"! Yay!
>
> hmm, how's about an alternate spelling... "pyknee", or "pynee", or
> "pynie" ... considering those are not taken either?

Pynie's taken too -- it's the Python implementation on the Parrot VM.

----
Rami Chowdhury
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving
Nazis or Hitler approaches one." -- Godwin's Law
+1-408-597-7068 / +44-7875-841-046 / +88-01819-245544