From: Fred Bartoli on
Why are the so called PCB design experts just mouse shakers?

Why does this have to happen during my holidays?

--
Thanks,
Fred.
From: John Larkin on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:20:29 +0200, Fred Bartoli <" "> wrote:

>Why are the so called PCB design experts just mouse shakers?
>
>Why does this have to happen during my holidays?

Is the mouser distant from you? That's often a disaster. I prefer to
keep the layout-er in the next cube, and stay close.

Best next thing is to have a copy of his/her software and shoot the
files back and forth often. I usually do the initial placement and the
critical routing on, say, one channel, and stay close to the layout as
it progresses.

Some layout people place parts based on the rubberbands. That's
usually a disaster. They have to place based on the schematic.

Layer-layer crosstalk, trace widths, mechanical, thermal, pinouts...
too many ways to mess up.

I've always found women to be the best layout people. They seem to
listen better.

John

From: Tim Wescott on
On 08/10/2010 09:06 AM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:20:29 +0200, Fred Bartoli<""> wrote:
>
>> Why are the so called PCB design experts just mouse shakers?
>>
>> Why does this have to happen during my holidays?
>
> Is the mouser distant from you? That's often a disaster. I prefer to
> keep the layout-er in the next cube, and stay close.

I've worked with folks who have their layout done remotely, and it can
work very well. It can be a disaster, too, but it _can_ work.

> Best next thing is to have a copy of his/her software and shoot the
> files back and forth often. I usually do the initial placement and the
> critical routing on, say, one channel, and stay close to the layout as
> it progresses.
>
> Some layout people place parts based on the rubberbands. That's
> usually a disaster. They have to place based on the schematic.
>
> Layer-layer crosstalk, trace widths, mechanical, thermal, pinouts...
> too many ways to mess up.
>
> I've always found women to be the best layout people. They seem to
> listen better.

Possibly because their manliness isn't threatened by "having to do what
the @#$% circuit designer said".

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Robert Baer on
Fred Bartoli wrote:
> Why are the so called PCB design experts just mouse shakers?
>
> Why does this have to happen during my holidays?

Male or female mice?
From: Phil Hobbs on
John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:20:29 +0200, Fred Bartoli <" "> wrote:
>
>> Why are the so called PCB design experts just mouse shakers?
>>
>> Why does this have to happen during my holidays?
>
> Is the mouser distant from you? That's often a disaster. I prefer to
> keep the layout-er in the next cube, and stay close.
>
> Best next thing is to have a copy of his/her software and shoot the
> files back and forth often. I usually do the initial placement and the
> critical routing on, say, one channel, and stay close to the layout as
> it progresses.
>
> Some layout people place parts based on the rubberbands. That's
> usually a disaster. They have to place based on the schematic.
>
> Layer-layer crosstalk, trace widths, mechanical, thermal, pinouts...
> too many ways to mess up.
>
> I've always found women to be the best layout people. They seem to
> listen better.
>
> John

Just had a slightly similar issue with a customer--an engineer who was
on his way out the door ditched the 0603 metal film resistors in favour
of 0402 thick films without telling anyone...>30 dB noisier down in the
1/f region where we're working.

There was plenty of room for the 0603s, but nooooo, he had to be creative.

:(

What a maroon. There may be enough pad space to bodge in 0603s for the
demo--I sure hope so.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--