From: Scott on
I have a toroidal power transformer that I'm considering using for a
power supply project. It has two secondaries -- 18v-0-18v and 0-48v.
Part number is 7-40-0011 (already tried googling it, no luck). I'm
pretty sure I purchased it from one of the online surplus places,
maybe All Electronics, probably about a decade ago.

What's the best way to determine how many amps the secondary is rated
for? Can I just throw a resistive load on it an measure the current?
or does this risk damage?
From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:32:06 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Scott
<smbaker(a)gmail.com> wrote in
<d721ef17-ccf7-44b4-9cf2-b6e83883da51(a)t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>:

>I have a toroidal power transformer that I'm considering using for a
>power supply project. It has two secondaries -- 18v-0-18v and 0-48v.
>Part number is 7-40-0011 (already tried googling it, no luck). I'm
>pretty sure I purchased it from one of the online surplus places,
>maybe All Electronics, probably about a decade ago.
>
>What's the best way to determine how many amps the secondary is rated
>for? Can I just throw a resistive load on it an measure the current?
>or does this risk damage?

Wire diameter?
From: Tim Wescott on
On 08/10/2010 08:32 AM, Scott wrote:
> I have a toroidal power transformer that I'm considering using for a
> power supply project. It has two secondaries -- 18v-0-18v and 0-48v.
> Part number is 7-40-0011 (already tried googling it, no luck). I'm
> pretty sure I purchased it from one of the online surplus places,
> maybe All Electronics, probably about a decade ago.
>
> What's the best way to determine how many amps the secondary is rated
> for? Can I just throw a resistive load on it an measure the current?
> or does this risk damage?

Weigh it, then look in the Digi-Key or Mouser catalog for toroidal
transformers of similar weight -- that'll come close to telling you the
VAC rating of the thing overall.

For output current, measure the resistance of the windings, then find
the currents for the two secondaries that seems to make them equally
efficient from an open-circuit vs. loaded condition.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: John Larkin on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:32:06 -0700 (PDT), Scott <smbaker(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>I have a toroidal power transformer that I'm considering using for a
>power supply project. It has two secondaries -- 18v-0-18v and 0-48v.
>Part number is 7-40-0011 (already tried googling it, no luck). I'm
>pretty sure I purchased it from one of the online surplus places,
>maybe All Electronics, probably about a decade ago.
>
>What's the best way to determine how many amps the secondary is rated
>for? Can I just throw a resistive load on it an measure the current?
>or does this risk damage?

This will get you started.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/XfmrScatter.JPG

Or just load it progressively and see how hot it gets.

John

From: GregS on
In article <7hv266h4vj8k6vp6coppr51lg00ekk248m(a)4ax.com>, John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:32:06 -0700 (PDT), Scott <smbaker(a)gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I have a toroidal power transformer that I'm considering using for a
>>power supply project. It has two secondaries -- 18v-0-18v and 0-48v.
>>Part number is 7-40-0011 (already tried googling it, no luck). I'm
>>pretty sure I purchased it from one of the online surplus places,
>>maybe All Electronics, probably about a decade ago.
>>
>>What's the best way to determine how many amps the secondary is rated
>>for? Can I just throw a resistive load on it an measure the current?
>>or does this risk damage?
>
>This will get you started.
>
>ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/XfmrScatter.JPG
>

>Or just load it progressively and see how hot it gets.

Watching temp is good.

I load down a transformer until the voltage drops 15%. This a bit tricky with multiple windings.
A great transformer is rated for 10% drop
A poor transformer is rated for a 30% drop.

I still have a batch of old Signal Transformer Co. trans.
that seem to go by the 10% system.

greg