From: John Fields on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:29:53 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:32:06 -0700 (PDT), Scott <smbaker(a)gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I have a toroidal power transformer that I'm considering using for a
>>power supply project. It has two secondaries -- 18v-0-18v and 0-48v.
>>Part number is 7-40-0011 (already tried googling it, no luck). I'm
>>pretty sure I purchased it from one of the online surplus places,
>>maybe All Electronics, probably about a decade ago.
>>
>>What's the best way to determine how many amps the secondary is rated
>>for? Can I just throw a resistive load on it an measure the current?
>>or does this risk damage?
>
>This will get you started.
>
>ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/XfmrScatter.JPG

---
Hmmm...

Since when are pounds SI units?

--
JF
From: John Larkin on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:05:25 GMT, zekfrivo(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS)
wrote:

>In article <7hv266h4vj8k6vp6coppr51lg00ekk248m(a)4ax.com>, John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>>On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:32:06 -0700 (PDT), Scott <smbaker(a)gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I have a toroidal power transformer that I'm considering using for a
>>>power supply project. It has two secondaries -- 18v-0-18v and 0-48v.
>>>Part number is 7-40-0011 (already tried googling it, no luck). I'm
>>>pretty sure I purchased it from one of the online surplus places,
>>>maybe All Electronics, probably about a decade ago.
>>>
>>>What's the best way to determine how many amps the secondary is rated
>>>for? Can I just throw a resistive load on it an measure the current?
>>>or does this risk damage?
>>
>>This will get you started.
>>
>>ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/XfmrScatter.JPG
>>

>>Or just load it progressively and see how hot it gets.
>

>Watching temp is good.
>
>I load down a transformer until the voltage drops 15%. This a bit tricky with multiple windings.
>A great transformer is rated for 10% drop
>A poor transformer is rated for a 30% drop.
>
>I still have a batch of old Signal Transformer Co. trans.
>that seem to go by the 10% system.
>
>greg

I always found the Signal transformers to be a bit soft. I think they
used higher-temperature varnish and such to reduce the amount of
copper.

John

From: John Larkin on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:35:06 -0500, John Fields
<jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:29:53 -0700, John Larkin
><jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:32:06 -0700 (PDT), Scott <smbaker(a)gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I have a toroidal power transformer that I'm considering using for a
>>>power supply project. It has two secondaries -- 18v-0-18v and 0-48v.
>>>Part number is 7-40-0011 (already tried googling it, no luck). I'm
>>>pretty sure I purchased it from one of the online surplus places,
>>>maybe All Electronics, probably about a decade ago.
>>>
>>>What's the best way to determine how many amps the secondary is rated
>>>for? Can I just throw a resistive load on it an measure the current?
>>>or does this risk damage?
>>
>>This will get you started.
>>
>>ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/XfmrScatter.JPG
>
>---
>Hmmm...
>
>Since when are pounds SI units?

Idiot. I post something useful, and you follow up with something
useless. It's gotten to be a pattern.

John

From: Tim Williams on
Measure DCR. Assume 5% regulation per winding (including the primary,
that's 10% total, i.e. ~90% efficiency). Current is then DCR / (0.05 *
Vout).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

From: Nunya on
On Aug 10, 10:55 am, John Larkin
<jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:05:25 GMT, zekfr...(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS)
> wrote:
>

> >In article <7hv266h4vj8k6vp6coppr51lg00ekk2...(a)4ax.com>, John Larkin <jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

> >>This will get you started.
>
> >>ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/XfmrScatter.JPG
>
> >>Or just load it progressively and see how hot it gets.
>
> >Watching temp is good.
>
> >I load down a transformer until the voltage drops 15%. This a bit tricky with multiple windings.
> >A great transformer is rated for 10% drop
> >A poor transformer is rated for a 30% drop.
>
> >I still have a batch of old Signal Transformer Co. trans.
> >that seem to go by the 10% system.
>
> >greg
>
> I always found the Signal transformers to be a bit soft. I think they
> used higher-temperature varnish and such to reduce the amount of
> copper.
>
> John

You're a goddamned idiot. They use single or double strength,
standard off-the-shelf mag wire, and ANY 'varnishing' takes
place AFTER the wind.

Got any more absolutely glaring non-sense?

Nobody gets to cheat on copper. It comes down to core media,
and winding particulars. Take an xformer made that way, and try
to "cheat on the copper" and you'll find that you no longer have
the transformer that you originally designed.

All the varnish does is lock everything
down mechanically and provide environmental segregation.

Got any other segments of the scientific realm that you wish
to insult today? Maybe a sport that you are to thick to grasp?