From: dpb on
xytsrm wrote:
> Thanks dpb,
>
> I thought I had done this in VB along time ago, but it might have been
> another language. The VarPtr does allow me to get the reference to the
> variables; perhaps there's another undocumented function that would make the
> indirect assignment.

In VB syntax, no.

From: dpb on
dpb wrote:
> xytsrm wrote:
>> Thanks dpb,
>>
>> I thought I had done this in VB along time ago, but it might have been
>> another language. The VarPtr does allow me to get the reference to
>> the variables; perhaps there's another undocumented function that
>> would make the indirect assignment.
>
> In VB syntax, no.

Even in the one place where there might be a chance the concept of C
union didn't make it into UDTs nor did any incarnation of Fortran's
EQUIVALENCE

From: Ralph on

"xytsrm" <xytsrm(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks dpb,
>
> I thought I had done this in VB along time ago, but it might have been
> another language. The VarPtr does allow me to get the reference to the
> variables; perhaps there's another undocumented function that would make
the
> indirect assignment.

You can write a function that returns a 'variable' ...

Public Function GetStrFromPtr( ByRef addrVar As Long ) As String
GetStrFromPtr = addrVar
End Function

This works by declaring the func param as ByRef, which is the address.
However, you will have to define a Function for each Type.

Also I didn't mention it as you weren't attempting it, but as you are
playing around it is inevitable you'll come across it sooner or later -
VarPtr doesn't work for Arrays, but then it kinda does ... <g> VB Arrays are
SafeArrays objects, and not a simple contiguous block of memory you might
guess.

Most of this is an old hat that has been chewed to death. Google/Search for
"VB6 SafeArrays VarPtr" for more gory details. It can be good fun and an
interesting exercise for an idle weekend if you have yet to go there. But
appreciate in the end - you will find no practical use for these functions
in VB except for those few scenarios they were initially designed for.

-ralph

From: Ralph on

"dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message
> dpb wrote:
> > xytsrm wrote:
> >> Thanks dpb,
> >>
> >> I thought I had done this in VB along time ago, but it might have been
> >> another language. The VarPtr does allow me to get the reference to
> >> the variables; perhaps there's another undocumented function that
> >> would make the indirect assignment.
> >
> > In VB syntax, no.
>
> Even in the one place where there might be a chance the concept of C
> union didn't make it into UDTs nor did any incarnation of Fortran's
> EQUIVALENCE
>
> --

In VB "unions" are called Variants. <g>

-ralph

From: dpb on
Ralph wrote:
> "dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message
>> dpb wrote:

>>> In VB syntax, no.
>> Even in the one place where there might be a chance the concept of C
>> union didn't make it into UDTs nor did any incarnation of Fortran's
>> EQUIVALENCE
>>
>> --
>
> In VB "unions" are called Variants. <g>

:)

But not actually as they don't have multiple symbols, only
data-tolerance for the same variable identifier which is what OP was
asking for.

--
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8