From: thanatoid on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
news:i2qdmc0teb(a)news7.newsguy.com:

> From: "Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com>
>
>| thanatoid wrote:
>
>| (...)
>
>| Why did you multi-post this to a win-98 group? Are you
>| not capable of cross-posting?
>
>| Where else did you multi-post this to?
>
> Many groups !

C'mon - 3 is MANY?

--
You know, that viruses never really sleep
And that hackers never blink their eyes
From: thanatoid on

> From: "Manatee Memories" <See(a)the.REPLYTO.entry>

>>>Many groups !
>
>| Time, perhaps, to k/f thanatoid for a . . . . day (week?)?
>
> Well I'd like to see his post shortened to just the
> pertinent facts and then lets see what's going on.

I have seen SO many posts where there are 1 or 2 paragraphs, and
ALL they get as replies is a list of 2-30 questions about
details which were /not/ provided, so I felt I should provide
ALL the information. The only thing I forgot - but which was
probably obvious - is that TaskInfo would not allow me to kill
the batch file. So I powered down.

It's a pretty weird virus - especially to someone who has never
had one before - so I felt a full description was necessary.

As for "shortening", the OP contains two SUMMARY paragraphs, and
four questions/statements for reply/confirmation. They are
mentioned in the second paragraph of the OP, and copied below
for your convenience.

May I add that I am using the SAME keyboard, mouse and monitor
with this 166MHz machine right now, with a KVM switch. So there
are NO mechanical faults with the the mouse and keyboard (which
both occurred at the *exact same moment* as a batch file out of
nowhere was running), as about 5 people have suggested.

===
SUMMARY

So, everything was fine, when all of a sudden my mouse and
keyboard became possessed.

Basically, it was like the left and right mouse buttons and Ctl
and Alt keys were being randomly activated, FAST. I turned off
the ADSL modem, and ran TaskInfo. There was a batch file in my
temp (either c:\temp or C:\win\temp) directory which was NOT
supposed to be there. It was running. I shut down the machine. I
can't remember the file's exact name, but it was short, 5 or so
letters, no weird numbers or figures.

>>>QUESTION 1. It could not have messed up the processor -
first, I do not believe that is /possible/, second, DOS seems to
run fine.

>>>QUESTION 2. AFAIK, the level1 and level2 caches clear upon a
reboot, just like RAM does. I considered whether a batch file
could alter properties of RAM and stay in it ANYWAY, but I do
NOT believe that is possible. Also, there are NO RAM cleaning
utilities on the Hiren's disk which would lead me to believe RAM
is irrelevant as long as one reboots.

>>>QUESTION 3. Since I wiped the CMOS/BIOS (I still do NOT
understand the difference between them, although some people
have tried to explain to me), and have restored (a few times)
and then /written/ a new MBR, PLUS restored a perfect Acronis C:
image, I have NO idea where this damn thing is living.

>>>QUESTION 4:
IF the infected computer /is/ history, and I build a new one and
using a Linux version which can read FAT32 Windows partitions,
copy various standard format data from the infected HD into
Linux - I am risk free, aren't I?
===

Thank you and again, I apologize for the multi-post.

From: thanatoid on

> From: "Manatee Memories" <See(a)the.REPLYTO.entry>
>
>| On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:03:13 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
>| <waiting(a)the.exit.invalid> wrote, by way of
>| <Xns9DC3A324D1FA6thanexit(a)81.169.183.62>, in
>| alt.comp.virus -->::
>
>>>Well, it took almost 20 years but it finally happened.
>
>| <MASSIVE flush>
>
>| Next time, could you _not_ multi-post that carp? Please?
>
> You you prefer multi-posting bass ? :-)

I like sardines in tomato sauce myself.

Now, about my problem... ;-)