From: Virus Guy on
thanatoid wrote:

(...)

Why did you multi-post this to a win-98 group? Are you not capable of
cross-posting?

Where else did you multi-post this to?
From: Mumia W. on
On 07/29/2010 03:04 AM, thanatoid wrote:
> [...]
> SUMMARY
>
> So, everything was fine, when all of a sudden my mouse and
> keyboard became possessed.
>
> Basically, it was like the left and right mouse buttons and Ctl
> and Alt keys were being randomly activated, FAST. I turned off
> the ADSL modem, and ran TaskInfo. There was a batch file in my
> temp (either c:\temp or C:\win\temp) directory which was NOT
> supposed to be there. It was running. I shut down the machine. I
> can't remember the file's exact name, but it was short, 5 or so
> letters, no weird numbers or figures.

> first, I do not believe that is /possible/, second, DOS seems to
> run fine.

I still think it's a hardware (mainboard) problem.

> reboot, just like RAM does. I considered whether a batch file
> could alter properties of RAM and stay in it ANYWAY, but I do
> NOT believe that is possible.

It is not.

> Also, there are NO RAM cleaning
> utilities on the Hiren's disk which would lead me to believe RAM
> is irrelevant as long as one reboots.

Wholly unnecessary.

> (I still do NOT
> understand the difference between them, although some people
> have tried to explain to me), and have restored (a few times)
> and then /written/ a new MBR, PLUS restored a perfect Acronis C:
> image, I have NO idea where this damn thing is living.

It's not living. Your mainboard is dying.

> IF the infected computer /is/ history, and I build a new one and
> using a Linux version which can read FAT32 Windows partitions,
> copy various standard format data from the infected HD into
> Linux - I am risk free, aren't I?

Yes.

> ===
>
> Thank you and again, I apologize for the multi-post.

Even though DOS works, a hardware problem is still most likely. DOS and
Windows have different ways of accessing the keyboard, so the way DOS
accesses it might avoid the problem whereas Windows might not.

Anyway, the fact that the problem exhibits under Linux means that it's
not malware related.