From: lukost on
Hi, i want to create a raw-mode PDO for virtual port on my bus (using
KMDF).

The problem is the documentation says that WdfPdoInitAssignRawDevice
can be used only before WdfDeviceCreate, and as such system doesn't ask
for new INF file.

Does anybody know how to set raw mode for a PDO in the way that would
ensure that the user will be prompted for a new INF file?

--
cheers,
Lukasz Chróst

From: Doron Holan [MS] on
raw mode and asking for a INF file are polar opposites. the entire reason
that raw mode exists is that the PDO can be immediately started. so what
happens is this when the PDO is enumerated as raw for the first timei

1) immediately started
2) pnp kicks off a user mode install and tries to find an INF match
3) if an INF match is made, the PDO is removed and then immediately
restarted w/how the INF specified

Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. this alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

"lukost" <lukost(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
Hi, i want to create a raw-mode PDO for virtual port on my bus (using
KMDF).

The problem is the documentation says that WdfPdoInitAssignRawDevice
can be used only before WdfDeviceCreate, and as such system doesn't ask
for new INF file.

Does anybody know how to set raw mode for a PDO in the way that would
ensure that the user will be prompted for a new INF file?

--
cheers,
Lukasz Chrst

From: Pavel A. on
"Doron Holan [MS]" wrote:
> raw mode and asking for a INF file are polar opposites. the entire reason
> that raw mode exists is that the PDO can be immediately started. so what
> happens is this when the PDO is enumerated as raw for the first timei
>
> 1) immediately started
> 2) pnp kicks off a user mode install and tries to find an INF match
> 3) if an INF match is made, the PDO is removed and then immediately
> restarted w/how the INF specified

Doron,

The raw mode means that the bus driver alone can do
something useful with the device, right?
Can a bus driver create a raw DO so that PnP just accepts it
"as is" and won't look for INF, display any UI *at all*?

--PA

~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Lukasz Chróst on
Thanks - in fact i've messed up with GUIDs and that's why my driver
didn't even try to look for corresponding inf file (as it installed as
'standard device that doesn't need driver' - the one with question mark
icon in device manager).

> 1) immediately started
> 2) pnp kicks off a user mode install and tries to find an INF match
> 3) if an INF match is made, the PDO is removed and then immediately
> restarted w/how the INF specified

So that's why i get to IRP_MN_START_DEVICE right after loading the
driver and after 'finding' the inf file. I have wondered why two
EvtPrepareHardware callbacks occur. Thanks.

--
Lukasz Chróst