From: Stefan Patric on
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:57:54 +0000, Lurker wrote:

> I had a new computer built using the above mother board, currently
> running Slackware 12.2. I had hoped that it being new it would be
> 'future proofed', to a greater or lesser degree. However on installing
> Slackware 13 I found that neither the on-board graphics nor the on-board
> ethernet connection would function. I find it strange that the kernel in
> 12.2 manages to get all the components of this motherboard to work yet
> the newer 2.6.29.6 Kernel doesn't.
>
> I am looking for a graphic and network card that will function with the
> 2.6.29.6 Kernel. I am however curious as to why the older one works the
> full range of on-board functions and a newer one won't!

Have you contacted Slackware about the problem and any solutions? That
would have been the first place I would have gone to. But it does sound
strange. I just upgraded to Fedora 12 on my 64-bit system that has
around a 4 year old Abit MB with onboard LAN and sound. Never had any
hardware issues, and I started on it with Fedora Core 6.

Could be you only need to run a particular kernel module. Slackware's
"basic" install kernel is fairly generic. Contact Slackware.

Stef
From: Vlad_Inhaler on
On Dec 13, 12:57 pm, Lurker <brokenj...(a)linuxmail.org> wrote:
> I had a new computer built using the above mother board, currently running
> Slackware 12.2. I had hoped that it being new it would be 'future
> proofed', to a greater or lesser degree. However on installing Slackware
> 13 I found that neither the on-board graphics nor the on-board ethernet
> connection would function. I find it strange that the kernel in 12.2
> manages to get all the components of this motherboard to work yet the
> newer 2.6.29.6 Kernel doesn't.
>
> I am looking for a graphic and network card that will function with the
> 2.6.29.6 Kernel. I am however curious as to why the older one works the
> full range of on-board functions and a newer one won't!
> --
> Lurker

Looking the beast up:
- Integrated Nvidia® Geforce®7Series Shader model3.0 DirectX 9
graphics processor,
Dual VGA output support: RGB & DVI / RGB & HDMI
* Due to the chipset limitation, simultaneous output for DVI and
HDMI is not supported.
- PHY Gigabit LAN

The expansion slots are:
1 x PCIe x16
1 x PCIe x1
2 x PCI
From: Vlad_Inhaler on
On Dec 14, 2:53 pm, Lurker <brokenj...(a)linuxmail.org> wrote:
> Vlad_Inhaler andrew.willi...(a)t-online.de Monday 14 Dec 2009 07:41 wrote:
>
> > Looking the beast up:
> > - Integrated Nvidia® Geforce®7Series Shader model3.0 DirectX 9
> > graphics processor,
> > Dual VGA output support: RGB & DVI / RGB & HDMI
> > * Due to the chipset limitation, simultaneous output for DVI and
> > HDMI is not supported.
> > - PHY Gigabit LAN
>
> > The expansion slots are:
> > 1 x PCIe x16
> > 1 x PCIe x1
> > 2 x PCI
>
> I'm afraid that I have no idea what any of that means, or if there is a
> solution to it.
> --
> Lurker

The point is, that is the hardware which is not running for you - the
particular hardware which the newest Slackware does not seem to
support.
Network cards are cheap, if you have one spare you could put into one
of your PCI slots until you get the problem sorted.
The video card is a larger problem. Yours appears to be a year or two
old and I really don't see why you should be having a problem. Nvidia
(and ATI, Intel) cards are pretty well supported. Where I have a
problem is with a Via video card but even that works (sort of) under
Opensuse, which is what I use.

Got that one, googling "linux Geforce 7 Slackware" got me
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/cant-start-x-with-slackware-13-on-hp-pavilion-dv9000-nvidia-757540/
- known problem, with a fix. I'll leave the other one to you.
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Vlad_Inhaler may or may not have written...

> On Dec 13, 12:57 pm, Lurker <brokenj...(a)linuxmail.org> wrote:
[snip]
>> I am looking for a graphic and network card that will function with the
>> 2.6.29.6 Kernel. I am however curious as to why the older one works the
>> full range of on-board functions and a newer one won't!

> Looking the beast up:
> - Integrated Nvidia� Geforce�7Series Shader model3.0 DirectX 9
> graphics processor,
> Dual VGA output support: RGB & DVI / RGB & HDMI
> * Due to the chipset limitation, simultaneous output for DVI and
> HDMI is not supported.

I've found 'lspci -k' output for this board (not hard to find online). It
seems that the graphics hw is a GeForce 7050PV; it should be supported by the
taintware, but also try the open-source drivers.

(I note that you've posted a link to a possible fix in a later posting.
Anyway, I'm sticking to Intel and slightly older ATI...)

> - PHY Gigabit LAN

The same lspci output says "nVidia Corporation MCP67 Ethernet" and reports
forcedeth as being the driver in use. This should be fine (the driver is
distributed as part of the kernel), but it's possible that there are hardware
bugs which require use of a newer kernel which has workarounds for them.
(ISTR something about MAC addresses being reversed with some nForce Ethernet
hw.)

Suffice it to say that I have an nForce4-based board here which requires
forcedeth for the on-board Ethernet interface; all is working well.

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/ & http://tartarus.org/ds/

Wharbat darbid yarbou sarbay?
From: notbob on
On 2009-12-14, Lurker <brokenjohn(a)linuxmail.org> wrote:

> I'm afraid that I have no idea what any of that means, or if there is a
> solution to it.

Then it's about time you learned. This is not a babysitting group.

http://www.pctechguide.com/11Motherboards.htm

nb