From: Sam on

"Sjouke Burry" <burrynulnulfour(a)ppllaanneett.nnll> wrote in message
: : > How do I get Acronis to detect the HD? Are the BIOS settings
wrong?
: >
: By configuring as ide.

That was the initial setting, set to IDE.

From: Sam on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
:
: There should be a total of four ways to set things up. Compatible
: is very similar to Enhanced-IDE, in terms of the feature set.
: Remember that the purpose of Compatible, is to make it possible
: to use OSes like Windows 98, so there won't be any fancy AHCI or
: RAID involved. The only detail with Compatible, is deciding which
: four SATA ports will be supported by that mode. Motherboards
: back in those days, used IRQ14 and IRQ15, used two ribbon cables,
: and supported up to four hard drives. And Compatible mode is
: intended to do the same thing as those old motherboards.

What configuration would you suggest since I am using a SATA 6 GB
drive? Also, I noticed the PC Builder didnt use an SATA 6 cable and
had the HD plugged into the SATA 2 port. I changed this to SATA 6 GBs
port and connected a SATA 6 cable.

From: Paul on
Sam wrote:
> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> :
> : There should be a total of four ways to set things up. Compatible
> : is very similar to Enhanced-IDE, in terms of the feature set.
> : Remember that the purpose of Compatible, is to make it possible
> : to use OSes like Windows 98, so there won't be any fancy AHCI or
> : RAID involved. The only detail with Compatible, is deciding which
> : four SATA ports will be supported by that mode. Motherboards
> : back in those days, used IRQ14 and IRQ15, used two ribbon cables,
> : and supported up to four hard drives. And Compatible mode is
> : intended to do the same thing as those old motherboards.
>
> What configuration would you suggest since I am using a SATA 6 GB
> drive? Also, I noticed the PC Builder didnt use an SATA 6 cable and
> had the HD plugged into the SATA 2 port. I changed this to SATA 6 GBs
> port and connected a SATA 6 cable.

You would use the SATA interface, which works with everything
you do. If Acronis won't detect your WD SATA III drive on your add-on
SATA III port, then that doesn't sound like a very practical
way of using the drive. Perhaps the SATA II ports are the right
answer in that case.

In terms of drive performance, there are three issues to consider:

1) Burst to cache. A SATA 6gbit/sec interface could transfer
user data at a theoretical max of 600MB/sec. The hard drive
has a relatively small cache memory on it (32MB ?). The main
advantage of 6gbit/sec interconnect, is for data bursts which
fit entirely in the memory cache chip. This is most visible
and measurable with synthetic benchmarks.

2) Sustained transfer rate. The drive is limited by the rate that
the head writes data to the platter. A typical 7200RPM drive
might manage 125MB/sec. Thus, the 600MB/sec cabling does nothing
to help you there. A 300MB/sec cable works just as well, to
support the 125MB/sec sustained (head-limited) transfer rate.
If you're transferring a DVD-9 movie from one hard drive to the
other hard drive, the disk drive heads limit the transfer rate
to 125MB/sec.

3) Seek time. It takes time to move the head assembly from one track
to another. If you're accessing 10000 small files at random locations,
most of the time is spent moving the heads around. The time spent
using the cable to transfer the files, is almost zero. It doesn't
really matter whether the interface is SATA I, II, or III, as
seeking is really, really, slow. If you benchmark the transfer
time for 10000 small files, the resulting MB/sec value will look
pathetic to you. And seek time is to blame for this.

So this discussion about fancy cabling, is only relevant to (1). In
real world circumstances, it will be hard or impossible, to detect the
difference between using 3Gbit/sec or 6Gbit/sec cabling and interfaces.
While certain benchmarks may make you feel pretty happy, in actual
usage it might not be nearly as different or impressive. On my current
computer, with its Core2 processor, most of what I do is slow slow slow
because of hard drives.

If, on the other hand, you use a Flash SSD drive on the computer,
then it is possible the fancy 6gbit/sec interface is worth while to use.
But for your 7200 RPM hard drive, it really doesn't matter what SATA
interface you use.

This is an example of a SATA III SSD. Notice one reviewer's comment,
that writing is still slow, at 135MB/sec. But the seek time is close
to zero, which makes a big difference to performance. You can read
10000 random files, and the time interval between each read operation,
is less than 100 microseconds. Which is much better than any hard drive.
Devices like this don't make everything seem fast, but they help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148348

The larger version of that product, is twice as expensive, but may
have better write performance. If you read the customer reviews,
face it, these SSDs are toys. Your hard drive is much more
reliable and dependable, and doesn't need "tuning" or "polishing".
With a hard drive, you just use it (assuming you didn't get
one of the annoying "Advanced format" 4Kbyte sector hard drives).
With hard drives, as long as the shipping method doesn't damage
them, they're quite good on dependability. I haven't had a failure
in some time. I think my last failure was a Maxtor 40GB. But
if you have money to spend, you can have a lot of fun playing
with an SSD. Just make sure you have backups of the SSD.

Paul