From: Gagi on

Greetings from Croatia ;)

i am using this mb which is supporting c2d processors with my old prescott
3.0 HT processor.
Both are LGA 775.

The problem is..... I can't boot my computer from time to time. It says BAD
BIOS CHECKSUM and then computer searches for some file on floppy or CD ROM.

When i insert motherboard's CD, the computer finds file, and then start
erasing and then programming bios (i think).

Can there be any conflict using Prescott on new MB (which supports c2d
processors).

I'm asking this becouse i tried to replace the bios battery and there was no
helo with it

Sry about bad english

From: Paul on
Gagi wrote:
> Greetings from Croatia ;)
>
> i am using this mb which is supporting c2d processors with my old prescott
> 3.0 HT processor.
> Both are LGA 775.
>
> The problem is..... I can't boot my computer from time to time. It says BAD
> BIOS CHECKSUM and then computer searches for some file on floppy or CD ROM.
>
> When i insert motherboard's CD, the computer finds file, and then start
> erasing and then programming bios (i think).
>
> Can there be any conflict using Prescott on new MB (which supports c2d
> processors).
>
> I'm asking this becouse i tried to replace the bios battery and there was no
> helo with it
>

> Sry about bad english

Is your processor in the list here ? If you are unsure, look for SLxxx code
from the Intel processor box, or any other part number code you can find.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5KPL%20SE

The BIOS battery does not control that function. The BIOS is stored
in a flash memory chip. I see two possibilities. Either the clock
frequency being used to read the flash chip is wrong (running
flash chip outside of clock rate specification), or the flash
chip itself is defective. My guess would be, there is a
clock problem of some sort. Are you "overclocking" the processor ?
It could be, that one of the bus clocks is not locked to a fixed
frequency, and the bus clock frequency varies as a function of
the degree of overclock.

You can try downloading a new BIOS file from the download page. If
you do that, also copy that BIOS file to a floppy or CD, in the
same way as the motherboard CD provides a BIOS file. Use the same
file extension as is used on the Asus motherboard CD. Then, if at
some future date, you are told of a checksum error, feed the "new"
BIOS file to it. Don't use the old motherboard CD for the checksum
error any more, once you're using the latest BIOS. The latest
BIOS here is version 0602.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5KPL%20SE

I looked on the vip.asus.com forums, but don't see anyone else having
this problem.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5KPL%20SE&SLanguage=en-us

Paul

From: Gagi on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> Gagi wrote:
>> Greetings from Croatia ;)
>>
>> i am using this mb which is supporting c2d processors with my old
>> prescott 3.0 HT processor.
>> Both are LGA 775.
>>
>> The problem is..... I can't boot my computer from time to time. It says
>> BAD BIOS CHECKSUM and then computer searches for some file on floppy or
>> CD ROM.
>>
>> When i insert motherboard's CD, the computer finds file, and then start
>> erasing and then programming bios (i think).
>>
>> Can there be any conflict using Prescott on new MB (which supports c2d
>> processors).
>>
>> I'm asking this becouse i tried to replace the bios battery and there was
>> no helo with it
>>

>> Sry about bad english
>>

> Is your processor in the list here ? If you are unsure, look for SLxxx
> code
> from the Intel processor box, or any other part number code you can find.
>
> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5KPL%20SE
>
> The BIOS battery does not control that function. The BIOS is stored
> in a flash memory chip. I see two possibilities. Either the clock
> frequency being used to read the flash chip is wrong (running
> flash chip outside of clock rate specification), or the flash
> chip itself is defective. My guess would be, there is a
> clock problem of some sort. Are you "overclocking" the processor ?
> It could be, that one of the bus clocks is not locked to a fixed
> frequency, and the bus clock frequency varies as a function of
> the degree of overclock.
>
> You can try downloading a new BIOS file from the download page. If
> you do that, also copy that BIOS file to a floppy or CD, in the
> same way as the motherboard CD provides a BIOS file. Use the same
> file extension as is used on the Asus motherboard CD. Then, if at
> some future date, you are told of a checksum error, feed the "new"
> BIOS file to it. Don't use the old motherboard CD for the checksum
> error any more, once you're using the latest BIOS. The latest
> BIOS here is version 0602.
>
> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5KPL%20SE
>
> I looked on the vip.asus.com forums, but don't see anyone else having
> this problem.
>
> http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5KPL%20SE&SLanguage=en-us
>
> Paul

Can you please give me link for latest bios download. Im using win XP sp2.
I'll download it and copy it to CD as you said

Please help

TY

From: Paul on
Gagi wrote:

> Can you please give me link for latest bios download. Im using win XP sp2.
> I'll download it and copy it to CD as you said
>
> Please help
>
> TY

The download page for your motherboard is here.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5KPL%20SE

From BIOS-Utilities, you can get "Afudos BIOS update tool V2.38".

From BIOS section, you can get "P5KPL SE 0602 BIOS". When the download
file is unzipped, it will be 1024KB in size.

Place AFUDOS, the BIOS file, on an MSDOS floppy, and boot from that floppy.
Then, update the BIOS. You should rename the BIOS file, to be consistent with
the file naming convention on your motherboard CD. It may have used an 8.3
filename.

Once the computer is booted to MSDOS, you can enter something similar to:

afudos /? # To get help options

afudos /iP5KP0602.rom

and that should flash the BIOS. You would keep a copy of the new
BIOS, with short file name, on a new CD or floppy, in case you
need it again.

Paul
From: Gagi on

> Gagi wrote:
>

>> Can you please give me link for latest bios download. Im using win XP
>> sp2. I'll download it and copy it to CD as you said
>>
>> Please help
>>
>> TY
>
> The download page for your motherboard is here.
>
> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5KPL%20SE
>
> From BIOS-Utilities, you can get "Afudos BIOS update tool V2.38".
>
> From BIOS section, you can get "P5KPL SE 0602 BIOS". When the download
> file is unzipped, it will be 1024KB in size.
>
> Place AFUDOS, the BIOS file, on an MSDOS floppy, and boot from that
> floppy.
> Then, update the BIOS. You should rename the BIOS file, to be consistent
> with
> the file naming convention on your motherboard CD. It may have used an 8.3
> filename.
>
> Once the computer is booted to MSDOS, you can enter something similar to:
>
> afudos /? # To get help options
>
> afudos /iP5KP0602.rom
>
> and that should flash the BIOS. You would keep a copy of the new
> BIOS, with short file name, on a new CD or floppy, in case you
> need it again.
>
> Paul

Thx pal.... i hope it will help

c ya