From: beldonga on
I have McAfee on the PC with the problem. A full scan returns no problems. I
have Trend-Micro on the PC that will perform a clean boot.

From: Daave on
It is well documented that McAfee often interferes with many functions,
presumably including clean booting. I remember once starting a PC that
had McAfee installed in Safe Mode and McAfee was *still* running! You
might need to use AutoRuns to configure a "cleaner" clean boot:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Also, you didn't answer the other question concerning malware; that
*always* needs to be ruled out first.

From: beldonga on
I checked the 'EVENT VIEWER' the failure is identified as a security
problem. 'Unknown User Name or Bad Password. The process was indentified as
'Advapi'. I did a Google search on this and found Advapi.exe is malware. One
article identified the same problem I have when trying a clean boot
attributed to Avapi. All articles advised to get it off the system assap.
McAfee doesn't pick it up. I am trying to find ways to get rid of it.

From: Daave on
That is a trojan and needs to be removed!

Hopefully these pages will help:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/Advapi.exe-199.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial101.html