From: Jamie on
I need, really, need an audio editor.

I used audacity, but now I find that audacity doesn't work.

I've tried audacity on freebsd, no-go, gentoo audacity, no-go, compile from
source.. no-go I've tried everything, local libraries, system libraries,
absolutely nothing seems to get audacity working properly.

I've been trying for over a month now.

The problem is, audacities exported files are garbled as if the same looped
chunk "skips".

rezound DOES work, but I don't know if I can get used to its interface. (haven't
verified it'll fill the requirements yet)

What I'd really like is a SHELL FRIENDLY sound editor, like the audacity interface,
with basic cut, paste, generate silence, multi-track, zoom editing.

Instead of having all the effects & file formats built-in, I'd like this
magical tool to support ONLY ONE lossless format and minimal plugins. (only
stuff pertaining directly to sound editing)

A kind of light-weight GUI that sits on top of external utilities such as sox
and ladspa.

Example "plugin" of this (far as I know..) mythical tool:

--
#!/bin/sh
# Do-nothing plugin

Where, presumably, stdio is AIFF data or something.

This would be extremely nice, because I'm already using pre/post shell
scripts to do much of the sound editing, but, of course, the shell is
useless for mixing & editing on the waveform level and painful for cases
where I need to feed audio back into itself with different effects. I need
a multi-track waveform GUI for that.

Is there such a "sound-shell" editor like the one I described?

Jamie
Perl * Java * UNIX User Management Solutions
From: J.O. Aho on
Jamie wrote:
> I need, really, need an audio editor.
>
> I used audacity, but now I find that audacity doesn't work.
>
> I've tried audacity on freebsd, no-go, gentoo audacity, no-go, compile from
> source.. no-go I've tried everything, local libraries, system libraries,
> absolutely nothing seems to get audacity working properly.

Could it be time to run revdep-rebuild ? It's much likely you may have broken
dependencies.

> What I'd really like is a SHELL FRIENDLY sound editor, like the audacity interface,
> with basic cut, paste, generate silence, multi-track, zoom editing.

Have you looked at transcode? I haven't done any special audio editing there,
but it has some deal of such features too and of course can handle video too.

--

//Aho
From: Jamie on
In <7m9qpiF3go68rU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
"J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> mentions:
>Jamie wrote:
>> I need, really, need an audio editor.
>>
>> I used audacity, but now I find that audacity doesn't work.
>>
>> I've tried audacity on freebsd, no-go, gentoo audacity, no-go, compile from
>> source.. no-go I've tried everything, local libraries, system libraries,
>> absolutely nothing seems to get audacity working properly.
>
>Could it be time to run revdep-rebuild ? It's much likely you may have broken
>dependencies.

Nope. This is a brand new machine.

So far, what I've gleaned is that it seems to work when I export to a DIFFERENT
file, but if I over-write an existing file (after editing) it'll corrupt it.

I modified my script to work differently and it seems to work, but it's just so
fragile!

If you've got a recent version of audacity, try editing a wav file and then
exporting to the same file, see if that results in corruption?

>> What I'd really like is a SHELL FRIENDLY sound editor, like the audacity interface,
>> with basic cut, paste, generate silence, multi-track, zoom editing.
>
>Have you looked at transcode? I haven't done any special audio editing there,
>but it has some deal of such features too and of course can handle video too.

I'll look into it, I do use lame, sox, normalize, various perl scripts and so-forth,
they're WONDERFUL for being able to repeat the exact same procedure in batch.

Problem comes in when you need to shave off the beginning and end of an mp3, or you
have several tracks (background music, voice, effects) you need to tweak various
aspects of the individual tracks, (like timing) and then mix them together.

It's tough when you need to specify everything numerically. (w/out a waveform display)

If there were a way to take something like audacities GUI, but instead of library
or nyquist plugins, simply use shell pipes as filters & effects, it'd be really
cool.

Even reel-to-reels gave us a sense of physical tape <-> timeline :-)

I will look deeper into transcode.