From: Stefan Patric on
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:46:59 -0500, RodMcKay wrote:

>>I dl and tried PCLinuxOS this morning. Found it pretty kewl, you're
>>right.
>>
>>One question about these LiveCDs that I've not found a way around:
>>
>>-----------------------------
>>2009-11-14 09:19:09
>>(http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1049483.html) No you can't
>>since the LiveCD has no access to the Hard Drive.
>>-----------------------------
>>
>>is the above statement true? It's what I found 2 years ago that
>>anything I did would disappear once I rebooted. This feels similar to a
>>[snip]
>>Is there any way to get files/folders created while using LiveCD to
>>actually be stored on the hdd itself rather than some virtual
>>representation of the hdd/partitions as seems to happen when on the
>>LiveCD?
>
> I apologize, can I go back and delete this message <g>? I didn't read
> far enough along the post:
>
> -----------------------------
> 2009-11-14 09:24:16
> (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1049483.html)
>
> To be able to write data from an Ubuntu LiveCD to HDD is to become a
> superuser. All you need is this command
>
> sudo nautilus
>
> Then you can read and write on the HDD via Nautilus either it's Ext3,
> fat or ntfs.
> -----------------------------

There are some LiveCDs that when booted will auto-mount all the
partitions on all the drives on system, but read-only. To get write
access, you'll need to be root or a superuser. I think Puppy Linux does
this, and Mepis, but I'm not sure: Don't have the distros handy to
check. Also, PCLOS will easily mount partitions, IIRC. Go to My
Computer on the Desktop, if the drives and/or partitions are there, right
click and pick 'mount' or, maybe, double left click--not sure--to mount.
If you're logged in as a normal user, you'll probably have to enter the
root password to get full access.

Also, some LiveCDs permit you to store configurations and downloaded
applications in a file on your hard drive. So, the next time you boot
it, all your settings are the same, etc.

> I'm still trying to get a handle on the terminal/console and remembering
> how to find it.

Here's a good place to start:

http://linuxcommand.org/index.php

Stef
From: RodMcKay on
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:19:18 GMT, Stefan Patric <not(a)thisaddress.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:46:59 -0500, RodMcKay wrote:
>

>>>I dl and tried PCLinuxOS this morning. Found it pretty kewl, you're
>>>right.
>>>
>>>One question about these LiveCDs that I've not found a way around:
>>>
>>>-----------------------------
>>>2009-11-14 09:19:09
>>>(http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1049483.html) No you can't
>>>since the LiveCD has no access to the Hard Drive.
>>>-----------------------------
>>>
>>>is the above statement true? It's what I found 2 years ago that
>>>anything I did would disappear once I rebooted. This feels similar to a
>>>[snip]
>>>Is there any way to get files/folders created while using LiveCD to
>>>actually be stored on the hdd itself rather than some virtual
>>>representation of the hdd/partitions as seems to happen when on the
>>>LiveCD?
>>
>> I apologize, can I go back and delete this message <g>? I didn't read
>> far enough along the post:
>>
>> -----------------------------
>> 2009-11-14 09:24:16
>> (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1049483.html)
>>
>> To be able to write data from an Ubuntu LiveCD to HDD is to become a
>> superuser. All you need is this command
>>
>> sudo nautilus
>>
>> Then you can read and write on the HDD via Nautilus either it's Ext3,
>> fat or ntfs.
>> -----------------------------
>
>There are some LiveCDs that when booted will auto-mount all the
>partitions on all the drives on system, but read-only. To get write
>access, you'll need to be root or a superuser. I think Puppy Linux does
>this, and Mepis, but I'm not sure: Don't have the distros handy to
>check. Also, PCLOS will easily mount partitions, IIRC. Go to My
>Computer on the Desktop, if the drives and/or partitions are there, right
>click and pick 'mount' or, maybe, double left click--not sure--to mount.
>If you're logged in as a normal user, you'll probably have to enter the
>root password to get full access.
>
>Also, some LiveCDs permit you to store configurations and downloaded
>applications in a file on your hard drive. So, the next time you boot
>it, all your settings are the same, etc.
>
>> I'm still trying to get a handle on the terminal/console and remembering
>> how to find it.
>
>Here's a good place to start:
>
> http://linuxcommand.org/index.php
>

>Stef

Actually, don't know if it's because I dl and used PCLinuxOS or
because of putting "sudo nautilus" in the console window but with
PCLinuxOS, I was able to write to the partition with no problem. I
created some PDFs files and some screenshots, etc., and they were
there when I booted back into XP. Though maybe it's because with
PCLinuxOS I have to log in, something that neither Knoppix or Ubuntu
required. I logged in as guest first and then as root the next time,
but I think I know enough to be careful of what I do in root. It's
like being an administrator in Window$, in the concept I mean ... You
can do things as root that you can't as guest, if I've understood
correctly. But at any rate, with no fuss or muss, I was able to work
in Linux then still have access to the files in Window$.

I have Adobe Acrobat and couldn't do the usual editing of my PDFs so
went back into Windows to do the usual cleanup and adding of URL
links, etc. (Looks like I'll be searching for a replacement for KPDF,
too <g>. Meh, just something minor. <g>)

Thanks! :oD

From: J.O. Aho on
RodMcKay wrote:

> I have Adobe Acrobat and couldn't do the usual editing of my PDFs so
> went back into Windows to do the usual cleanup and adding of URL
> links, etc.

There are different ways you can make PDF's in Linux, the easiest is to use
OpenOffice 3, with a small plugin you can edit the PDF files too (it's not
100%, it depend on hte application used to create the PDF in the first place).

> (Looks like I'll be searching for a replacement for KPDF,
> too <g>. Meh, just something minor. <g>)

Acrobat reader, it's still only 32bits, so if you use an 64bit installation
you would need to have multilib (32bit libraries). You have also xpdf too,
it's faster and lighter and don't support all the new stuff.

--

//Aho
From: RodMcKay on
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 19:39:02 +0100, "J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net>
wrote:

>RodMcKay wrote:
>
>> I have Adobe Acrobat and couldn't do the usual editing of my PDFs so
>> went back into Windows to do the usual cleanup and adding of URL
>> links, etc.
>
>There are different ways you can make PDF's in Linux, the easiest is to use
>OpenOffice 3, with a small plugin you can edit the PDF files too (it's not
>100%, it depend on hte application used to create the PDF in the first place).

I just made the PDF via the option to print to PDF from Firefox, as I
would do "normally" in Window$.

>> (Looks like I'll be searching for a replacement for KPDF,
>> too <g>. Meh, just something minor. <g>)
>
>Acrobat reader, it's still only 32bits, so if you use an 64bit installation
>you would need to have multilib (32bit libraries). You have also xpdf too,
>it's faster and lighter and don't support all the new stuff.

Acrobat Reader? But it just reads. I have the full Adobe Acrobat
which is the creator/editor, too.

I'd forgotten OO can create PDFs. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks.

From: J.O. Aho on
RodMcKay wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 19:39:02 +0100, "J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net>
> wrote:
>
>> RodMcKay wrote:
>>
>>> I have Adobe Acrobat and couldn't do the usual editing of my PDFs so
>>> went back into Windows to do the usual cleanup and adding of URL
>>> links, etc.
>> There are different ways you can make PDF's in Linux, the easiest is to use
>> OpenOffice 3, with a small plugin you can edit the PDF files too (it's not
>> 100%, it depend on hte application used to create the PDF in the first place).
>
> I just made the PDF via the option to print to PDF from Firefox, as I
> would do "normally" in Window$.
>
>>> (Looks like I'll be searching for a replacement for KPDF,
>>> too <g>. Meh, just something minor. <g>)
>> Acrobat reader, it's still only 32bits, so if you use an 64bit installation
>> you would need to have multilib (32bit libraries). You have also xpdf too,
>> it's faster and lighter and don't support all the new stuff.
>
> Acrobat Reader? But it just reads. I have the full Adobe Acrobat
> which is the creator/editor, too.

Yes, it only reads like KPDF.

> I'd forgotten OO can create PDFs. I'll have to check that out.

Alternatively you can use ps2pdf, command line tool which converts a printer
spool to pdf.

--

//Aho