From: RodMcKay on
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 04:50:48 GMT, Stefan Patric <not(a)thisaddress.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:29:48 -0500, RodMcKay wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 07:13:29 -0500, RodMcKay <NoJunkMail(a)No.com> wrote:

[snip]

>Also, for your first distro, take a look at PCLinuxOS 2009 (http://
>www.pclinuxos.com/). Designed for the Windows user. Very low learning
>curve. And it pretty much comes pre-configured with all the stuff you'll
>need for general computing. No tweaks required.
>

>Stef

I dl and tried PCLinuxOS this morning. Found it pretty kewl, you're
right.

One question about these LiveCDs that I've not found a way around:

-----------------------------
2009-11-14 09:19:09
(http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1049483.html)
No you can't since the LiveCD has no access to the Hard Drive.
-----------------------------

is the above statement true? It's what I found 2 years ago that
anything I did would disappear once I rebooted. This feels similar to
a virtual environment which is what I'm guessing a LiveCD is. But
working with the LiveCD for now seems like the perfect transitional
tool for the switch as I'd not have to worry about installing and
working with my partitions fully till I knew more about what I was
doing re things like the file system, etc., etc.

Is there any way to get files/folders created while using LiveCD to
actually be stored on the hdd itself rather than some virtual
representation of the hdd/partitions as seems to happen when on the
LiveCD?

From: RodMcKay on
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:22:55 -0500, RodMcKay <NoJunkMail(a)No.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 04:50:48 GMT, Stefan Patric <not(a)thisaddress.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:29:48 -0500, RodMcKay wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 07:13:29 -0500, RodMcKay <NoJunkMail(a)No.com> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>Also, for your first distro, take a look at PCLinuxOS 2009 (http://
>>www.pclinuxos.com/). Designed for the Windows user. Very low learning
>>curve. And it pretty much comes pre-configured with all the stuff you'll
>>need for general computing. No tweaks required.
>>

>>Stef
>
>I dl and tried PCLinuxOS this morning. Found it pretty kewl, you're
>right.
>
>One question about these LiveCDs that I've not found a way around:
>
>-----------------------------
>2009-11-14 09:19:09
>(http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1049483.html)
>No you can't since the LiveCD has no access to the Hard Drive.
>-----------------------------
>
>is the above statement true? It's what I found 2 years ago that
>anything I did would disappear once I rebooted. This feels similar to
>a virtual environment which is what I'm guessing a LiveCD is. But
>working with the LiveCD for now seems like the perfect transitional
>tool for the switch as I'd not have to worry about installing and
>working with my partitions fully till I knew more about what I was
>doing re things like the file system, etc., etc.
>
>Is there any way to get files/folders created while using LiveCD to
>actually be stored on the hdd itself rather than some virtual
>representation of the hdd/partitions as seems to happen when on the
>LiveCD?

I apologize, can I go back and delete this message <g>? I didn't read
far enough along the post:

-----------------------------
2009-11-14 09:24:16
(http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1049483.html)

To be able to write data from an Ubuntu LiveCD to HDD is to become a
superuser. All you need is this command

sudo nautilus

Then you can read and write on the HDD via Nautilus either it's Ext3,
fat or ntfs.
-----------------------------

I'm still trying to get a handle on the terminal/console and
remembering how to find it.

This will be neat if I can get that to work. I've cleared the only
partition I could, the smallest one (1.76 gigs) because I still had
enough room on the 500gig external drive to move the stuff over to it.
With my WinXP currently buggy 'cause it needs the damned bi-yearly
cleanup (which I should do more regularly but I procrastinate as I
need my system operational, d'uh, like anybody does). That's why I'm
even more in favour of Linux because with the LiveCD I could get into
the external drive and start working on my PVR's ripped DVD files that
a buggy WinXP doesn't process properly anymore. In fact, it's this
that alerts me to the bugginess to begin with since only a clean XP
produces consistently good AVIs with audio completely in sync! <g>

Okay, going to check out this Nautilus stuff. Begging the group's
indulgence and tolerance to this Linux noob <g>.