From: Giovanni on

I have several mail accounts with my ISP for me and for my LAN users.
Up to few weeks ago I used to collect mail sent from local users in a
local server and use it to relay mail to the ISP server. I setup
authentication as recommended in README (Providing SMTP AUTH Data when
sendmail acts as Client) using just one of the accounts and the setup
continued to work.

Now they added a new restriction. They reject mail if the sender does
not match the id of the authenticated user. I can't use anymore the
local server for relaying to the outside world.

I was forced to allow all user to connect to the ISP server from any
user and from any machine. I don't like this setup since I have also
Windows boxes and I don't trust my grandsons, they aren't too careful
on what they do on their machine.

Any suggestion on how to authenticate different users on the same SMTP
server?

Ciao
Giovanni
--
A computer is like an air conditioner,
it stops working when you open Windows.
From: Giovanni on
On 03/29/10 16:47, Giovanni wrote:

> I have several mail accounts with my ISP for me and for my LAN
> users. Up to few weeks ago I used to collect mail sent from local
> users in a local server and use it to relay mail to the ISP server.
> I setup authentication as recommended in README (Providing SMTP
> AUTH Data when sendmail acts as Client) using just one of the
> accounts and the setup continued to work.
>
> Now they added a new restriction. They reject mail if the sender
> does not match the id of the authenticated user. I can't use
> anymore the local server for relaying to the outside world.
>
> I was forced to allow all user to connect to the ISP server from
> any user and from any machine. I don't like this setup since I
> have also Windows boxes and I don't trust my grandsons, they aren't
> too careful on what they do on their machine.
>
> Any suggestion on how to authenticate different users on the same
> SMTP server?

Help! Am I the only one to have this problem? Any help?

Ciao
Giovanni
From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
Giovanni <lsodgf0(a)home.net.it> wrote:
> On 03/29/10 16:47, Giovanni wrote:
>>
>> I have several mail accounts with my ISP for me and for my LAN
>> users. Up to few weeks ago I used to collect mail sent from local
>> users in a local server and use it to relay mail to the ISP server.
>> I setup authentication as recommended in README (Providing SMTP
>> AUTH Data when sendmail acts as Client) using just one of the
>> accounts and the setup continued to work.
>>
>> Now they added a new restriction. They reject mail if the sender
>> does not match the id of the authenticated user. I can't use
>> anymore the local server for relaying to the outside world.
>>
>> I was forced to allow all user to connect to the ISP server from
>> any user and from any machine. I don't like this setup since I
>> have also Windows boxes and I don't trust my grandsons, they aren't
>> too careful on what they do on their machine.
>>
>> Any suggestion on how to authenticate different users on the same
>> SMTP server?
>
> Help! Am I the only one to have this problem? Any help?

Lack of reply usually means that there is no *simple* answer.

--
Open-Sendmail: http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/
Luck, that's when preparation and opportunity meet.
From: Giovanni on
On 04/01/10 09:02, Henning Hucke wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Giovanni wrote:
>
>> [...] Help! Am I the only one to have this problem? Any help?
>
> Ask your provider for a sensefull setup relay which allows your
> company to relay mails with a single generic - server specific -
> authentication. It's not up to them to control which users of your
> company are allowed to send mail.

If my provider would be sensefull I would not come to ask in the news
group. They told me to ask support for my program and that it is none
of their business to know how sendmail or any other mail server works.

> And it should be in their interest since in your scenarion nearly
> every single mail needs its own connection and authentication
> process which puts a lot more load on their server than the
> solution with one authenticating server id.
>
> Try to act sensefull and argue with them to act sensefull!

They say they are being sensefull because are limiting spam and if I
had support from them I wouldn't be here.

Thank you anyway.

Ciao
Giovanni
From: Grant Taylor on
Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
> Lack of reply usually means that there is no *simple* answer.

Correct.

I've been thinking about this for the last few days and the best that I
can come up with is combining the feature of SmartTable with multiple
Smart Hosts that use separate sets of credentials. The thing that I'm
not sure of is if you can use one Smart Host with different names and
different credentials, or if you will actually have to set up multiple
Smart Hosts (possibly additional instances of Sendmail running on
different ports).

Yes, this idea feels both incomplete and like a kludge. But it's the
only thing that comes to mind after thinking about it for multiple days.

There is also the obvious, use someone other than your ISP as your Smart
Host.

Grant. . . .