From: Quin on
I am using Microsoft Office Excel 2003 at work and Microsoft Office Excel
2007 at home. Using either one of these programs I need to transfer more (a
lot more) than 1000 short lines of text from the cells into text boxes. Each
line of text is in cells A1 through A1000. All the text boxes are adjacent
to the cells.
To do this with manual cut and paste will take forever. Just wondering if
there is some simple code that would allow me to automate doing a “copy” with
one mouse click from the cell containing the text ,and paste into the text
box with a second click. (Every other click of the mouse would be a
copy/paste)

Quin

From: ker_01 on
Quin-

Consider something like the following (watch for linewrap).
Change the 3 fixed values to match your worksheet layout. This will really
only work well if all your rows are the same height, but you could add some
code to check row height (and adjust accordingly) if you wanted.

I suggest leaving the number of rows to process at 5 until you adjust the
other 3 values to your liking.

HTH,
Keith

Sub MakeTextBoxes()

NumberOfRowsToProcess= 5
FixedRowHeight = 10
FixedLeftSide = 80
FixedWidth = 50

For MyRow = 1 To 2
ActiveSheet.Range("A" & MyRow).Select
tText = Sheet1.Range("A" & MyRow).Value

'ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddTextbox(orientation, left, top, width, fontsize)
ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrientationHorizontal,
FixedLeftSide, (FixedRowHeight * MyRow), _
FixedWidth, 10#).Select
Selection.Characters.Text = tText
Next

End Sub

From: Quin on
I get a "Compile Error" when I try to run the code in Excel 2007.

Quin
From: ker_01 on
This code will add a textbox to 2007 (you'll have to play with the parameters
to make it work how you want, and add the text- I don't have a 2007 box to
tweak it on)

Google to find code snippets that will allow your macro to determine which
version of Excel it is running on, then conditionally run either the 2003
code or this 2007 code.

ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddLabel( _
msoTextOrientationHorizontal, _
ActiveSheet.Range("D5").Left, _
ActiveSheet.Range("D5").Top, _
96.75, _
17.25).Select

With Selection.Font
.Name = "Arial"
.Size = 10
End With

From: Quin on
I ran the new code alone just to see if I could get a simple text box out of
it on Excel 2007. It also generated a compile error. This is what I put
into "Sheet1"

Sub MakeTextBoxes()

ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddLabel( _
msoTextOrientationHorizontal, _
ActiveSheet.Range("D5").Left, _
ActiveSheet.Range("D5").Top, _
96.75, _
17.25).Select

With Selection.Font
..Name = "Arial"
..Size = 10
End With
Next

End Sub

This code complains "compile error: Next without For".
I don't know enough about VBA to fix the error or combine this code with the
original solution you offered.

I don't think the version of Excel is anything to do with these compile
errors because I have opened this code in "Compatibility Mode" as well as
native 2007 mode.

I hope you can stick with me on this. I think the solution is on the right
track and I would like to take it a step at a time. Perhaps to start, I
would like to find a way to generate a single text box with the contents of
A1 in it.

Quin