From: andy on
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice on where to start research for a problem
I have which I would like to solve using perl.

I have to do many travel request searches for flights and would like
to automate it, I'd like to write a script to input to my favorite
travel sites things like:

Departure Point, Destination, Departure Date, Return Date. Submit the
form and parse the results.

I can parse the results with regular expressions no problem, but I am
not sure about entering the form info, submitting and retrieving the
results.

I read a little about WWW::Mechanize, is this the module you experts
would recommend me to use?

Can you recommend any other modules I should also research?

Many thanks in advance, your advice is always much appreciated.

Andy
From: Tad McClellan on
andy <andygough1974(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to do many travel request searches for flights and would like
> to automate it,

Have you checked that the Terms of Service for each site allows
automated access?

> I can parse the results with regular expressions no problem,

That is a fragile approach, but is sometimes Good Enough.

> I read a little about WWW::Mechanize, is this the module you experts
> would recommend me to use?

perldoc -q form

How do I automate an HTML form submission?

If the FAQ recommends it, then you can assume that experts
recommend it without even asking any experts...

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"