From: janelgirl on
I need to add a field that is the current date to a table, but the date needs
to be updated automatically to always equal the current date. In Excel, this
was easily done with the "TODAY" function, but this isn't working in Access.
When I use "Date()", it returns the date that the record was created, but
does not update to the current date as time passes. In other words, if it
was created on 4/22/10, when I open the table on 4/28/10, I need that field
to read 4/28/10, even though it was created on an earlier date. I hope this
makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
From: Daniel Pineault on
Firstly, you should not ever be working directly in your tables, but rather
through a form.

Once you have a form setup you could add a current event to your form to
automatically update your control value.

Me.ControlName = Date()

--
Hope this helps,

Daniel Pineault
http://www.cardaconsultants.com/

From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:37:01 -0700, janelgirl
<janelgirl(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I need to add a field that is the current date to a table, but the date needs
>to be updated automatically to always equal the current date. In Excel, this
>was easily done with the "TODAY" function, but this isn't working in Access.
>When I use "Date()", it returns the date that the record was created, but
>does not update to the current date as time passes. In other words, if it
>was created on 4/22/10, when I open the table on 4/28/10, I need that field
>to read 4/28/10, even though it was created on an earlier date. I hope this
>makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

A table should contain only real, static data. You can display today's date in
a Query, or in the control source of a textbox on a Form or Report, using the
Date() function. You cannot do so (and should not do so, because no such
field should exist!) in a Table.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: janelgirl on
Thanks for the help! On a side note, why should I not work directly in my
tables? I am new at this, so I don't want to do anything that would create
issues down the road.

Thanks - janelgirl

From: janelgirl on
This really helped - Now I see what you mean by not having data in your
tables that changes. That clears up a lot of things for me. :-)