From: Logan Burt on
I have some users wanting to have an automatic reply to all messages sent to
a few specific mailboxes. We have always disallowed this in the past because
of the potential for mail loops.

Can automatic replies to an external address even be allowed in Exchange
2007? If so, are there any safeguards against mail loops? Are there any
third-party products that would keep Exchange 2007 from replying to an
automatic reply?

Thank you.
From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
Yes, it's a property of the Set-RemoteDomain cmdlet. In Exchange 2007 it
can be made a little safer because you can allow it only to a single domain
or a few domains, say a company with which you do business. But there's
still the danger of a mail loop. How would you know that it's an automatic
reply?
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: Logan Burt on
Thank you for your reply.

You're right, you wouldn't be able to tell if an incoming message was an
auto-reply or not. I thought there might be a third-party solution that
would allow me to send the auto-replies with a different return address, then
I could then set my mail gateway to drop messages to that address.

I wouldn't want to have all messages from that mailbox have an invalid
return address, only the auto-replies generated from that mailbox.

Do you know of anything like that?

Thanks.

From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
Sorry, no.