From: Roger Govier on
Hi David

As an alternative to using the volatile Indirect function, you could use
the faster and non-volatile Index function

=SUM($C$5:INDEX(C:C,A1))

The Index part, returns the cell in column C represented by the value in A1
--
Regards
Roger Govier

From: Ashish Mathur on
Hi,

You may select C4:C8 (row 4 is the header row) and convert it to a
List/Table by pressing Ctrl+L. When you convert a range to a List/Table, it
auto expands. Now when you add any data in row 9, all formulas in the
workbook will expand to include the 9th row.

The List feature was introduced from Excel 2003

--
Regards,

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"David S" <DavidS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a spreadsheet that has many SUM formulas that change on a monthly
> basis. Instead of manually changing each formula every month I want to
> create a reference to pull the row number from one cell so that updates
> each
> SUM formula. For example, change SUM($C$5:$C$8) to SUM($C$5:$C$9), where
> changing the 8 to a 9 in a cell outside the report range will update all
> the
> formulas. The SUM formulas are different for the columns, but use the
> same
> row reference. I used to be able to do this in Lotus, but have never
> figured
> out how to do this in Excel. We have Office 2007 software. Thank you
> for
> your help!
> --
> David S